Senior Data Analyst, Screening
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating.
We love where we work, and you can, too.
Who Are We Looking For?
A Sr. Data Analyst who will empower strategic business decisions that drive Screening outcomes, informed by mediation across functions, mixed-method data analytics, and in-line with the Screening business strategy.
What You’ll Do
- Act as the single point owner of Screening analytics
- Deeply understand Screening business line context, goals, and strategy, while partnering across functions of Analytics Engineering, User Experience, Customer Experience, Product and Finance, acting as the right-hand analytics person to Senior Director of Screening.
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of the overall and day-to-day strategy, product, operations, and performance of the business line; analysis is informed by and enhances business outcomes.
- Demonstrate understanding of historic and expected data values, throughout the Screening business line suite; including product attach, usage, churn, Finance performance, etc.
- Communicates regularly and effectively with stakeholders through appropriate channels
- Maintains project tracking system that keeps stakeholders updated and aligned
- Create, perform and evaluate ongoing screening data analyses and experiments
- Able to successfully combine business line knowledge and analytics skills to produce actionable insights
- Launch/own exploratory analyses, examining the market, business or customer base.
- Launch/own impact analyses around market/business/feature changes and their business impacts.
- Partnering with business functions, help identify who to target and what they are looking for, using market research and customer data.
- Define hypotheses based on observations to guide testing and product/business changes.
- Develop data-driven hypotheses for high ROI investments in our screening business.
- Analyses should include, but not be limited to, attach, adoption, and engagement rates along the customer journey across cohorts, customer segments, etc.
- Translate findings into projects/initiatives that enable business growth.
- Own data quality and reporting for the Screening Business
- Provide regular reporting/sharing and analytics to guide key business questions, driving decision-making.
- Maintain and expand Tableau dashboard suite, providing a user-friendly all-in-one environment for tracking/projection of key Screening metrics, to help drive decision-making.
- Deeply understand typical business and market performance across metrics to identify anomalies and escalate any issues to appropriate partners.
- Able to utilize both internal and external data resources to gather the necessary data, relevant to the Screening business.
- Able to define and calculate KPIs, and share out with functional partners.
- Clearly understand and define data quality, and outline systematic barriers (if any) that exist to being able to develop and calculate KPIs. Outline roadblocks, and develop the strategy and partnership necessary to clean up data.
- Write necessary SQL queries to obtain KPIs and metrics to be used for insight into the health of services and inform future opportunities.
What We’re Looking For
- Communication – able to provide clear communication regarding our overall strategy and each business line’s strategy (what we are doing, why, how it impacts) to all levels internally and externally
- Analytical skills and business acumen – able to identify, measure and impact the important metrics needed to manage and develop line of business; able to simplify complex content
- Creative problem solving – able to use creativity and curiosity as tools to pick apart any problem, producing a solution which is relevant and realistic
- Customer focus – understand needs of Business Leaders as well as cross-departmental associates and strive to delight at each touchpoint and level of interaction
- Proactivity – takes action without being told what to do at each step; generates novel ideas and processes to drive the business and team forward
- Growth minded – has a desire to learn and improve in all areas related to work, but also has a strong desire to branch out and learn new skills which may apply to current or future tasks
- Leadership – able to train, mentor, manage and develop a team to meet objectives; provides guidance and direction without sacrificing team’s ability to work self-sufficiently
- Goal orientation – able to execute on short term plans while developing longer-term vision; able to make trade-offs for longer term opportunities
- Systems Thinking – sees a system among disparate parts in order to balance finding simple solutions to the complex problems at hand, while working towards long term holistic solutions
Company Values-based Competencies
- Simpler is Better: Demonstrates the thought, discipline and inclination towards simple v. complex solutions.
- Great, Innovative Products are Key to a Great Business: Generates and brings other’s new and creative ideas forward.
- Great People Make a Great Company (Hiring & Developing): Has a nose for talent and hires the best people available from the inside or outside. Is not afraid of selecting strong people. A people builder who provides challenging and stretch goals to develop and motivate their team.
- Listening to Customers is in Our DNA: Applies a deep understanding of customers to make customer-friendly / customer-centered decisions.
- Small, Focused Teams Keep Us Agile: Spends their time and focuses the team on the critical few actions that are most important. Can eliminate roadblocks and demonstrates ability to say “no”.
- We Do the Right Thing; It's Good for Business: Always operates with integrity, especially when faced with tough situations.
Aligns with Analytics Values:
“Data driven” means our narratives, interpretations, and conclusions are based on results from analysis and do not lead analysis.
- Anticipate Risks: We consider any potential risk of harm with results to any relevant population (e.g., customers, customers’ customers, etc.) and use this as part of our decision to conduct analyses and if so, how to do so ethically.
- Consider All Variables: We consider a wide range of potential variables to consider in analysis to ensure analyses are thorough and as objective as possible.
- Approach Testing Scientifically: Testing criteria are established by scientific means in order to avoid any bias towards particular groups/cohorts.
- Build Models Transparently & Ethically: Model inputs and their contribution to model results/decisions are transparent, understood, and documented. Productionized models are regularly assessed for unethical feedback loops or impacts.
- Impact-Aware: Decision making connected to our tests and models consider impact to all relevant populations, including but not limited to the business.
- BS or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field; or equivalent professional experience.
- 5+ years of work experience in a Data Analytics / Data Science role.
- Strong business acumen and strategy experience in a business setting.
- Strong Tableau, SQL and Excel skills required.
- Familiarization with R (or Python) recommended.
- Working knowledge of Salesforce suggested.
- Ability to support, work and communicate with a fast, cross-functional team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Listening and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate ideas in both technical and business terms
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses. Our software solutions exist in the real estate vertical, including AppFolio Property Manager and AppFolio Investment Management.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.