Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning
Who we are:
Over ten years ago, we launched AppFolio(NASDAQ: APPF) to revolutionize the way small and medium-sized businesses grow and compete. Today our software solutions serve the property management and legal industries. At the heart of our products and services is a talented and agile team that understands the importance of a 100% customer focus.
With offices in Santa Barbara, Dallas, and San Diego, our business is built for long term success fueled by happy, loyal customers and a team of AppFolians who contribute to our great culture every day.
- Competitive Compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and a 401k Match
- Amazing company culture: focus on a complete lifestyle
- Recharge: 20 Days PTO + 9 Paid Holidays
- Built to last: Grow your career in an innovative, public company
- Make an impact: your work plays a key role in transforming our customers’ businesses
- Love your team members: co-workers are often friends too
- Offices stocked with healthy snacks, games, and goodies
- A commitment to health/wellness including onsite fitness classes
- Give back to your team and your community
Who we are looking for:
We are hiring a Sr. Machine Learning Software Engineer to contribute to our rapid product development pace. Our Engineers work collaboratively to set the technical direction for our SaaS products, developing easy-to-use solutions for our customers.
We are looking for machine learning engineers to help us bring next-generation products to market. The ideal candidate will be a curious, rigorous, team-player who is passionate about bringing real AI products to life. The ideal candidate will also be versatile and able to apply a wide variety of technical skills to solve problems.
This opening is on our AppFolio Property Manager product development team, working closely with our CTO.
- Work with our product development teams to design and develop machine learning and deep learning systems to build customer facing products and features
- Work closely with, and incorporate feedback from other engineering team members, QA, and product owners, and our customers
- Leverage both AppFolio’s structured and unstructured datasets to build new features and products that customers love
- Exploring and visualizing complex data sets in order to gain insights.
- Analyzing multiple ML algorithms that could be used to solve a given problem and use your seasoned intuition to rank their likelihood of success.
- Leverage agile practices, encourage collaboration, prioritization, and urgency to develop at a rapid pace
- Train models and tune their hyperparameters
- Implementing preprocessing and feature engineering
- Deploying models to production: You know basics of important industrial programming and deployment techniques such as unit tests, continuous integration and good monitoring
- Research, share, and recommend new technologies and trends
You know you’re the right fit if…
- You’re experienced with all parts of the model building ecosystem: You can go from raw dirty data to a well performing model that runs on-demand in production.
- You have hands-on experience developing real products that are enabled by machine learning technology, preferably in a SaaS environment
- You love learning about new technologies, but love building real products more.
- You have high degree of initiative, creativity, persistence and a strong focus on producing tangible results
- You have the ability to take academic or commercial models and concepts (including from other fields) and translate them into working code to solve problems
- You are comfortable working in a Linux command line and have programming skills in Python, Java, or closely related object-oriented language
- You care about work life balance and want your company to care about it to; you'll put in the extra hour when needed but won't let it become a habit.
Additional Skills and Knowledge:
- Programming skills in Python or similar object-oriented language
- Experienced user of SQL, Git and Linux
- BS in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science or other quantitative field.
- Applied Machine Learning fundamentals such as decision trees, neural networks, statistical modeling, and/or clustering
Nice to Have:
- PhD or MS in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science or other quantitative field.
- Experience working across all levels of the development stack
- Experience with AWS, Spark, Docker, TensorFlow or pytorch
- Publicly verifiable work on Github or in Kaggle competitions
If you are interested in creating exceptional SaaS products, and contributing to a successful company, apply today!