Senior Software Engineer, Fraud
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based provider that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating. We love where we work, and you can, too.
What You’ll Do
Collaborate with a strong cross-functional team of engineers, product managers and operations to detect, prevent and mitigate fraud.
Develop scalable and robust Risk and Fraud infrastructure that provide outstanding tools to agents for investigating fraud events and help Appfolio and our customers to mitigate fraud and risk at the transaction level.
Use test-driven development, code reviews, and continuous integration to deliver high-quality software, and rapidly fix bugs as they come up.
Work closely with, and incorporate feedback from other engineering team members, QA, and product owners.
Leverage agile practices in start-up mode, encourage collaboration, prioritization, and urgency to develop at a rapid pace.
Research, share and recommend new technologies and trends.
What We’re Looking For
We are hiring a Senior Software Engineer to contribute to our Risk/Fraud development team to manage risk and mitigate financial fraud, with the goal of reducing AppFolio’s overall risk exposure. The responsibilities include building real-time monitoring systems to reduce risk and detect anomalies, prototyping and developing algorithms to understand our data and working closely with our anti-fraud team to build tools to detect and investigate fraud across AppFolio’s entire suite of products.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who has a passion for building leading-edge software and is driven to help build a successful SaaS product used by thousands of happy businesses. We foster an environment that empowers small teams to collaboratively set the technical direction of our solutions.
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- Very Strong technical/coding skills
- Proven experience working across all levels of the development stack
- Strong familiarity with Agile software development processes: Scrum or Kanban
- Strong familiarity with Test-Driven-Development
- Creativity, ability to solve complex problems without a roadmap
- You love learning about new technologies, but understand the value of continuing to use something old if it still does everything you need it to do
- You care about the long-term maintainability of the codebase and will learn to advocate for refactoring and clean-ups where appropriate
- You care about work-life balance and want your company to care about it too; you'll put in the extra hour when needed but won't let it become a habit
- Experience with some areas of our tech like Ruby on Rails, React, Redux, AWS, SOA
- Experience building streaming systems with large amounts of data and complex aggregation logic
- Experience in risk management and the compliance domain
- Experience deploying machine learning models at scale
- Experience working on a fraud detection and prevention system
- Experience in payments processing
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.