Software Engineer II
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating. We love where we work, and you can, too.
**NOTE: Our major development hubs are based in Santa Barbara, CA and San Diego, CA. However, we're open to exploring remote-first working arrangements in other locations around the United States if relocation is not desired.**
As an entrepreneurial, innovative Senior Software Engineer, you will have a direct impact on increasing the value our customers receive from our products and services. In partnership with others on the Growth team (Product Manager, UX designer, and Data Scientist), you will research, brainstorm, and prototype ways to help customers discover, use, and engage with our products within AppFolio Property Management.
It is important to note that you will be the only engineer working full-time in this role. It is a huge career development opportunity for the right person: someone who is a self-starter and is driven to learn whatever technical and business skills they need without being mentored by more-senior engineers (a “Hacker/Maker” in the developer landscape). You will become the technical leader in this field, and along with others on the growth team, you will interact with customers, build professional relationships with other AppFolio departments, and support and partner with existing Product Development teams.
What You’ll Do
- Help Identify and prioritize new growth opportunities, and help lead cross-functional efforts to test and iterate against them.
- Using agile practices in start-up mode, encourage collaboration, prioritization, and urgency to develop at a rapid pace, applying your advanced engineering skill and experience to drive decisions on how we can solve problems quickly.
- Work throughout the stack: making small UI changes; instrumenting code to gather data for analytics; deep-diving into the code to change workflows and implement cues/triggers.
- “Lead through influence” with other product development teams, helping them implement permanent changes where experiments prove to have a significant impact on conversion.
- Identify the tools and changes necessary to experiment, gather data, and solve problems. Research and adopt new tools/technologies where needed, and in partnership with our analytics experts, determine how to build out the infrastructure required to cover gaps in our data gathering.
- Take full accountability for the quality of your code, especially when prototyping and experimenting alone. You exercise good judgment in deciding when to seek technical guidance or assistance from others.
- Can quickly and expertly make the smallest necessary code changes that enable us to learn about customer needs and behavior, while not increasing long-term technical debt.
- Like thinking outside the box and are comfortable with writing scripts/custom code, or using 3rd party testing tools.
- Enjoy interacting with customers.
- Have a “can-do”, growth mindset (we will learn!)
- Have a desire to learn more about product growth and behavioral decision making
- Respect the scientific method: we are data-driven
- Recognize and celebrate business wins
- Have strong product instincts and are comfortable working fairly autonomously
- Have a high EQ and are highly collaborative when working in temporary partnerships with existing Product Development teams.
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses. Our software solutions exist in the real estate vertical, including AppFolio Property Manager and AppFolio Investment Management.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.