Senior Software Engineer
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating. We love where we work, and you can, too.
**NOTE: Our major development hubs are based in Santa Barbara, CA and San Diego, CA. However, we're open to exploring remote-first working arrangements in other locations around the United States if relocation is not desired.**
We are hiring a Senior Full Stack Software Engineer to contribute to our rapid product development pace. We work collaboratively to set the technical direction for our SaaS products, developing easy-to-use solutions for our customers. Our engineers find deep satisfaction in building things that customers actually need. We focus on delivering value to customers and understand that this often means delivering code that isn't perfect but meets customer needs.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who has a passion for building leading-edge software and is driven to help build a successful SaaS product used by thousands of happy businesses. We foster an environment that empowers small teams to collaboratively set the technical direction of our solutions.
What You’ll Do
Develop scalable, robust, and simple web-based solutions to solve complex business problems
Formulate, implement, and evaluate algorithms and database queries to support SaaS scalability and stability.
Implement new features and optimize existing ones to drive maximum performance
Use test-driven development, code reviews, and continuous integration to deliver high-quality software, and rapidly fix bugs as they come up.
Work closely with, and incorporate feedback from other engineering team members, QA, and product owners
Leverage agile practices in start-up mode, encourage collaboration, prioritization, and urgency to develop at a rapid pace
Research, share and recommend new technologies and trends
- Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Extensive hands-on work experience developing web-based applications, preferably in a SaaS environment
- Proven experience working across all levels of the development stack
- Mastery experience with some areas of our tech like Ruby on Rails, React, AWS, SOA
- Strong familiarity with Agile software development processes: Scrum or Kanban
- Strong familiarity with Test-Driven-Development
- Creativity, ability to solve complex problems without a roadmap
- You love learning about new technologies, but understand the value of continuing to use something old if it still does everything you need it to do
- You care about the long-term maintainability of the codebase and will learn to advocate for refactoring and clean-ups where appropriate
- You care about work-life balance and want your company to care about it too; you'll put in the extra hour when needed but won't let it become a habit
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses. Our software solutions exist in the real estate vertical, including AppFolio Property Manager and AppFolio Investment Management.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.