Associate Consultant, Corporate Affairs
APCO Worldwide - a leading global communications and strategy consultancy - is seeking an Associate Consultant to join its Greater China team in Shanghai. The Associate Consultant will report directly to a Director or Associate Director and interface with all levels of staff with the following primary responsibilities:
- Lead day-to-day client communication and coordination by providing strategic advice related to strategic communication, and conducting stakeholder engagement under minimal supervision
- Produce quality client deliverables (i.e. messaging and content development, crisis communication, issues analysis memo, stakeholder engagement strategy, executive briefing materials, market research report, etc.)
- Be able to provide insightful research, strategic consultation and communication solutions to address client’s business needs
- Maintain self-driven passion and actively develop knowledge of client issues and related industry trends, maintain relationships with key opinion leaders and other stakeholders, participate in industry networking events
- Responsible for event planning and management, if required by client services
- Effectively manage account billable hours and budget control
- Work with supervisors in financial forecasting for client budgets
- Work cross functions and cross regions to support client’s business needs
LEADERSHIP & TEAM MANAGEMENT
- Provide necessary mentorship to team members
- Assist supervisor to plan for team development
SUPPORT BUSINESS GROWTH DEVELOPMENT
- Prepares customized credential packages for prospective clients, highlighting APCO capabilities, relevant case studies, and high-level industry notes and observations (requiring minimal revisions by managers)
- Drafts complete proposals for client work showing an understanding of APCO’s tools, structure and service offerings
- Lead on small to mid-size new business pitches
Requirements & qualifications:
Education: Bachelor’s degree or above from an accredited college or university preferably in Public Administration, Journalism, Public Relations, Political Science, International Affairs, Business Administration or related fields; Master’s degree holder preferred
Experience: Minimum of 3 - 5 years relevant working experience in business strategy, communications, journalism or at a multi-national corporation or non-profit organizations; strong knowledge or relevant working experience of food and beverage, consumer products and healthcare sectors a plus
- Familiarity and keen interest in topics relating to media and social media communication, trade and investment promotion, and political and economic development.
- Exceptional research and analytical skills, and the ability to write strategically in English
- Solid project management experience and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Collaborative team player that also has the ability to work independently, take initiative and set priorities
Languages: Native Chinese; Excellent English in speaking and writing
The position will be based in APCO’s Shanghai office working alongside approximately 30 Chinese and international colleagues and a staff of more than 50 people across Greater China. Domestic and occasional international travel is a requirement of the job.
APCO Worldwide is an advisory and advocacy communications consultancy helping leading public and private sector organizations act with agility, and build organizational reputations, brands, relationships and solutions to succeed.
Our expertise and integrated approach enable us to provide a full range of services, across industry sectors and global markets, allowing us to offer effective counsel and programs for boards of directors and CEOs. We meet the evolving needs of executives and their teams in communications, public affairs, government relations, legal, risk, organizational transformation, international relations, corporate responsibility and brand marketing.
APCO IN GREATER CHINA
Having entered the China market as one of the first consultancies in 1989, APCO has helped a wide range of organizations succeed in this complex but rewarding environment. We are keenly sensitive to changes in the political, regulatory and business landscape across China and advise business, government and non-profit organizations on issues critical to their success through our offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.
We provide our clients with business advisory and public affairs offerings ranging from market entry strategy and government relations to risk assessment. Our strategic communications expertise in crisis management, media engagement and digital communications help our clients protect and enhance their reputation in this fast-moving market.
Our multilingual, cross-cultural team of more than 50 is made up of professionals from a diverse range of backgrounds, including business, government, journalism, academia and non-profit. This breadth of experience and perspective allows us to provide integrated solutions tailored to the specific goals of our clients.