Director, Financial and Corporate Media
As Director of Corporate & Financial Media, you will work with a diverse group of talented and collaborative colleagues and media practitioners across North America and internationally. You will manage and advise clients including sophisticated corporate communications and media relations executives and lead teams in developing and executing media strategies for achieving their earned media objectives. You are expected to write persuasively; engage business, financial and sector-specific reporters and influencers; offer creative ideas that solve client problems; and use analytics tools for delivering insights and impact. You will have the opportunity to work across disciplines, including corporate communication, crisis and issues, investor relations, sustainability stakeholder engagement, digital/social media and paid amplification strategies.
- Owns client relationships and runs multiple work streams
- Leads media relations efforts, including cultivating relationships with journalists, commentators, analysts and other relevant third parties, bringing these contacts and insights into client work
- Performs day-to-day client work, with assistance from more junior and senior colleagues
- Coaches clients on media engagement and being an effective executive spokesperson
- Establishes systematic programs for driving a media drumbeat of story pitches
- Develops and manages project programming, including implementation plans, staffing plans, budgets, timelines and measurement/evaluation
- Produces high-quality, client-ready written deliverables, such as corporate announcements, op-eds, press kits, messaging and Q&A materials, often under tight deadlines
- Manages client expectations, earning their respect, trust and confidence through proactive account management to successfully maintain and grow client relationships.
- Serves as a financial media advisor to client teams across North America
- Assists in new business activities, such as writing proposals and presenting to potential clients.
- At least 8-10 years of experience working in business and financial media, ideally with a mix of experience in business journalism as well as in a media relations consultancy role
- Superior analytical skills and the ability to think creatively about media strategy and outlets
- Strong understanding of the media environment, including appreciation of news drivers at key print and broadcast organizations, such as CNBC, the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Fortune, Forbes, the Financial Times, Fast Company, Axios, Business Insider, Cheddar, etc.
- Established and trusted journalist relationships and an eagerness to build new relationships
- Experience working with third parties and influencers to help drive and shape coverage
- Experience leading communications around company earnings, IPOs, SPACs, ICOs, etc.
- Ability to integrate social / digital and paid campaigns with traditional media relations
- Exceptional writing skills, including the ability to write op-eds and owned media content
- Ability to present ideas to clients both strategically and persuasively in face-to-face meetings and written presentations, and deliver excellent work under tight deadlines
- Experience working with organizations in the healthcare, technology, transportation, energy and/or financial services are particularly relevant to this position
- Solid project management experience and a proven ability to manage multiple projects and client initiatives and teams of both junior and senior colleagues in a fast-paced environment.
About APCO in New York
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many of the top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.