Senior Associate Director
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many of the top companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
About APCO in the Middle East and North Africa
Home to some of the fastest growing economies in the world, the Middle East and North Africa region has a pivotal role to play in driving global conversations – from environmental policies to religion and pop culture. The UAE and Saudi Arabia are clear leaders in this equation, although the wave of innovation continues to transcend borders.
APCO launched its regional operations in 2006 in Dubai. Growing from a team of less than 10 consultants, APCO today has over 200 people from 26 countries working in teams across Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Riyadh, Manama and Kuwait and our projects take us to countries across the region and the Levant. APCO was awarded Best Agency in the Middle East by PRWeek in 2019 and Best Agency to Work for: EMEA Network by PRovoke Media in 2017 and 2019.
With a portfolio of over 100 clients, APCO’s MENA offices deliver public relations and digital communication support across health, food, consumer & retail, finance, technology, real estate & hospitality, non-profit and public affairs practices. The region also offers specialized services, created for the Middle East, such as our Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) model and our Compass and License to Operate offerings.
In addition, APCO’s global AI Comms Lab, a first-of-its-kind innovation center which utilizes artificial intelligence to build and protect the reputations of major global brands, governments and organizations is driven from the Dubai office.
From helping governments connect with the private sector and civil society, to supporting the Pope’s historic visit to the region and launching iconic brands and destinations, we understand the nuances of the MENA region and pride ourselves on making an impact.
- The Senior Associate Director is a client and team leader responsible for leading/managing large client project(s) and client teams on a day-to-day basis ensuring strong and strategic delivery of APCO services.
- The Senior Associate Director manages and takes ownership of client projects by supervising project teams and delegating projects and tasks
- The Senior Associate Director is responsible for identifying, creating, articulating and driving the strategy which supports the client’s objectives, including everything from developing communication plans and messages to properly scoping and pricing work, as well as managing work activities and resources within agreed upon budgets and timeframes.
- The Senior Associate Director invests significant time in identifying and pursuing new business opportunities including prospecting leads, writing proposals and pitching new work.
- In addition, the Senior Associate Director consistently demonstrates strategic and analytical abilities, as well as exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- The Senior Associate Director interfaces with all levels of staff and serves as the primary client contact, managing the client relationship(s).
DEMONSTRATING SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE AS A SENIOR ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR:
- Independently manages client relationships effectively
- Establishes client communication strategies and plans
- Manages effective execution of client communication programs and deliverables
- Gains trust and advises the client on a broad range of communication issues and opportunities
- Demonstrates an understanding of effective project management, can effectively address issues, and understands how managing account engagements tie to APCO’s business success and makes changes as necessary to improve account performance
- Develops positive reputation and has visibility within the APCO network
- Is viewed as a thought leader in the market
- Establishes strong network across APCO and engages in productive exchanges with colleagues to promote knowledge sharing and business opportunities
- Confidently leads internal and client meetings, offering knowledgeable observations and suggestions; establishing credibility by insights shared; encouraging and motivating others to communicate ideas
- Serves as principal client contact; knows when to leverage senior level relationships within APCO to further build the relationship within the client organization
- Consistently demonstrates APCO’s values in all interactions with colleagues, vendors and clients
- Participates in annual business planning, forecasting opportunity with clients managed
- Takes ownership and actively engages in team member development; demonstrating thoughtful planning to increase individual skill sets by setting smart objectives
- Shares opportunities across the network looking for the best resources to service the account(s)
- Leads teams around business development opportunities
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT – UTILIZATION/REALIZATION
Responsible for revenue sustainability; drives growth for client(s) under management and ensures profitable delivery of client projects under management
- Maintains labor margins of 70% or greater and appropriate service levels for client(s) under management
- Keeps overall client realization above 90% unless a specific investment decision or discount has been agreed
- Maintains realized personal utilization at target level agreed with Managing Director
- Ensures the very best work is being delivered in line with client needs
- Works with the local managers to determine staffing requirements, contributes to the evaluation of performance of client account staff; develops succession plans and recruits new talent as necessary
- Identifies and leads (and/or coordinates) new business opportunities within the organizations of clients under management
- Activates new business development/investment plans for assigned client(s) that result in tangible growth
- Proactively works with the APCO network to build relationships to enhance efficiencies, productivity and the development of new ideas/solutions for assigned account, ensuring APCO's best is always put forward
- Prepares yearly strategic client plan with metrics and staff plan, collaborating with appropriate market leaders and staff managers
- Oversees budgeting, billing, revenue projections, profitability, service levels, receivables on assigned clients
- Proactively engages in the business planning and budgeting process and communicates resourcing commitments and needs to Managing Directors; fulfills commitments made around staff utilization
- Establishes annual business development plan for assigned clients including growth targets, business development/investment budgets; tracks results
- Makes meaningful contribution to successful business development efforts that benefit the firm as a whole (participates in pitches and proposals)
- Leverages the work being done on client(s) under management to drive new business elsewhere in the firm (e.g., via case study sharing, thought leadership)
- Leads the development of new solutions that can be monetized across the enterprise
- Promotes a culture of entrepreneurship and revenue expansion
CORE CONSULTING SKILLS
- Develops a deep understanding of the client’s business and stays informed of issues that may impact the client beyond the scope of the engagement
- Proactively offers advice and information to client contact before, during and after client engagement
- Understands client’s internal politics, decision making process, and how client contact fits within the client organization
- Quickly assesses client’s business issues and identifies key stakeholders impacting client’s objectives
- Synthesizes information for strategic insights impacting client’s business strategy
- Serves as lead in client meetings and/or develops others to take a lead role