Senior Director, Corporate Health & Global Client Lead
The Senior Director will join a team of experienced strategic communicators, health care experts, crisis counselors, public affairs practitioners and leaders in research & insights who, collectively, provide our client and our firm with a comprehensive understanding of the issues, opportunities and players shaping our client’s operating environment and the broader health care landscape.
The Senior Director should have experience counseling multinational health companies or institutions of public health as they understand and engage with stakeholders to impact human health and organizational reputation, including by anticipating, harnessing and navigating through the issues and opportunities of the day. The ideal candidate has a diverse background in pharmaceutical, provider or other health communications, corporate communications, issues management, public health and integrated and innovative corporate marketing and communications.
The Senior Director should have a track record of managing current and building new client relationships, providing strategic and substantive oversight to teams supporting a dynamic enterprise, and working collaboratively with leaders across the account team and the firm at large to bring forth ideas that help a business remain responsive to a dynamic set of relationships with multiple stakeholder audiences.
The candidate will have proven success in a rapidly changing environment and must be resourceful, flexible, and capable of dealing with ambiguity. Candidate will ideally be able to work effectively and gain respect of diverse groups, including clients, colleagues, and other partners.
The successful senior director will:
- Partner with and advise corporate leaders on a range of critical reputational and positioning issues, both defending and enhancing reputation – ranging from high stakes issues management to public health leadership to HCP campaigns.
- Understand implications of corporate and market research and confidently leverage insights to define a strategic approach, and guide a team in developing creative activations to bring a campaign concept to life.
- Think strategically and holistically and draw from expertise across corporate reputation, public affairs, crisis management and stakeholder engagement
- Play offense and defense, and be equally adept at developing integrated traditional and digital campaigns to build reputational equity, as well as navigating complex issues to defend reputational equity
- Drive new business, including cultivating relationships, pursuing organic growth and leading a strong RFP process.
- Lead teams and projects, directing strategy, overseeing quality of work and balancing staffing appropriately
- Thrive on relationships and enjoy working directly with clients, colleagues and partners, with high multicultural intelligence
- Enjoy the work, roll up sleeves and work comfortably above and below level, showing willingness to lead on certain workstreams and collaborate on others
- Mentor teams and colleagues, with a commitment to professional development
- At least 15 years of experience with a combination of agency, Hill, trade association, or in-house
- Deep issues management experience required, litigation communications preferred
- Excellent media relations, writing, editing skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many of the top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.