Director, Earned Media
We have an immediate opening for a Director, Media to join our growing Washington D.C. office's media relations team.
By joining APCO, you will be joining colleagues who are open, collaborative, diverse and curious. Clients come to us to help solve tricky problems, create new ideas and campaigns, and connect with others. We believe in the power of communication to affect change and we are excited by purposeful work.
As a Director, you will manage and grow a portfolio of clients and collaborate closely with colleagues at all levels and around the world on research, writing, media, and creative problem-solving. You’ll often have the opportunity to work across disciplines, including corporate communication, crisis and issues, sustainability and corporate responsibility, media relations and stakeholder engagement, and digital/social media.
- Performs day-to-day strategic communications account work, with assistance from more junior and senior colleagues, for our high profile, globally recognized clients
- Own client relationships adn run multiple work streams
- Manages client expectations, earning their respect, trust and confidence through proactive account management to successfully maintain and grow client relationships
- Develops and manages project programming, including implementation plans, staffing plans, budgets, timelines and measurement/evaluation
- Produces high-quality, client-ready written deliverables, such as press materials, messaging toolkits, social media strategies, and advocacy communications, often under tight deadlines
- Leads media relations efforts, including cultivating relationships with media, drafting strategies, organizing press outreach, and more
- Integrates digital and social media tactics with overall communications strategy and construct traditional and digital measurement deliverables upon request
- Develop and distribute client materials including press releases and talking points
- At least 10 years of experience of PR and communications experience with an emphasis on media relations, in-house or at an agency
- Strong track record of media relations results including some established media relationships and an eagerness to build new relationships with key journalists and media outlets
- An understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to think creatively about media strategy and outlets for both APCO's corporate and consumer accounts
- Solid project management experience and a proven ability to manage multiple projects and client initiatives and teams of both junior and senior colleagues in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional writing and analytical skills, and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.