Assistant General Counsel
APCO Worldwide is looking for an Assistant General Counsel to join our legal team. The assistant general counsel is responsible for supporting the general counsel in handling the legal affairs of the company’s worldwide operations, in such areas as contracts, compliance, intellectual property, corporate governance and policies, employment, immigration, and overseeing and monitoring litigation.
At APCO, you have numerous opportunities to do work that both challenges you and relates to a wide variety of legal issues. You’ll have access to experts, exposure to internal and external clients worldwide and the chance to influence business strategy and being a part of a dynamic organization means you never stop learning. You will have an abundance of opportunities to progress in your career and add value to the firm. Participate in our global scholarship program; take advantage of numerous training and development opportunities; partner with colleagues worldwide; and every APCO office engages in local community volunteering and provides pro-bono assistance to selected nonprofit causes. Are you ready to challenge yourself?
- Identifying potential areas of legal concern, exploring and developing solution options, building consensus through discussion around the best approach, and implementing the solution.
- Advising on a wide range of issues that may arise, including:
- Terms for a wide range of contracts, including client, consulting, and vendor agreements, leases, and insurance policies
- Privacy concerns, including applicable US and international privacy laws and data security
- Intellectual property management and protection
- Regulatory filings
- Employment-related issues, including compliance with US and international employment laws, immigration/work authorizations, hiring practices and terminations
- Dispute resolution, litigation management, and internal investigations
- Ensuring full and timely compliance with applicable laws
- Responding to subpoenas and government requests
- Represent company in disputes, settlements, and collection matters
- Participate in meetings and conference calls as appropriate
- Manage relationships with outside counsel
- Research legal issues as necessary
- Corporate governance
- Assist with strategic transactions and other matters
- At least three to six years of legal experience
- Law degree from accredited law school and admitted to a state bar
- Expertise in contract review, negotiation and drafting
- Combination of law firm and in-house experience preferred
- Excellent judgment and insight, attention to detail and ability to work independently
- Ability to devise creative practical solutions to difficult legal/business issues
- Ability to work well with and gain respect of business/project staff
- Excellent written and oral skills
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Time flexibility in delivering legal support to offices in different time zones
- Self-motivation and the ability to establish and execute on priorities; creativity, flexibility, and persistence as a problem-solver; and the ability to build consensus around internal initiatives.
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.