Senior Director, Europe Lead for APCO Impact (Social Impact & Sustainability)
APCO is looking for an experienced leader to grow and lead its Impact & Sustainability business in Europe. This position will ideally be based in our Berlin, Brussels, London, Paris, or Rome office, but we are open to other APCO Europe office locations.
The market is undergoing unprecedented change and companies are at different stages both in understanding how they should respond and ensuring they are prepared for what may come next. Now more than ever, companies are looking to firms with deep knowledge and expertise on the dynamic social and environmental issues impacting their work. In tandem, foundations and non-profits are re-evaluating their strategies and structures to ensure they are built for purpose. As a member of our team, you will help clients across sectors navigate their impact and sustainability journeys, meeting them where they are, and helping balance a competing array of business and stakeholder priorities.
This senior leader will also be a key member of the APCO Impact management team, a new group inside APCO focused on driving the positive social and environmental impact of our clients, helping build the foundations of our Impact practice in Europe and leveraging the unique assets of our global firm. APCO has a 40-year history managing complex stakeholder and geopolitical dynamics, and a diverse bench of public affairs and management consulting talent. APCO Impact works alongside C-level Executives to address their most critical social and environmental challenges, helping identify their unique business issues and opportunities in an ever-changing environment -- from climate and sustainability, ESG, equity & justice, corporate purpose and philanthropy. As part of a fast-paced and dynamic group, our consultants help clients weave positive social impact into decision-making at all levels, addressing root causes, changing systems and moving towards a more regenerative, equitable future.
The Senior Director, Europe Lead for APCO Impact will be responsible for activities across four key areas:
New Business and Market Growth
- Cultivate, pursue and convert a pipeline of business development opportunities
- Expertise in European impact and sustainability market growth, expansion and exposure
- Help position APCO as a leading advisor in impact and sustainability across Europe by representing the company at key European and Global events and cultivating relevant speaking opportunities
- Build, maintain and harness a strong network
- Proactively develop thought leadership on the issues that will be critical to clients achieving their goals
- Serve as a business strategy expert to advise leading companies and C-level executives on their most pressing environmental, social and governance challenges.
- Provide the highest level of client service on a daily basis through proactive account management, serving as the key client contact while also managing staff to successfully maintain and grow client relationships
- Establish APCO as a trusted business partner
- Grow and lead a team of high-performing, talented and diverse consultants around Europe with wide-ranging expertise (communications, media, ESG strategy, climate, sustainable finance and more)
- Identify, design and lead critical and complex practice development initiatives for APCO Impact in Europe, partnering closely with global Impact leadership
- At least 15 years of professional experience, ideally combining in-house implementation of sustainability programs with consulting
- A proven record of success as a thought partner and adviser to C-level clients on the key issues, regulatory changes and strategic considerations facing the industry
- Developed, expansive professional network in European markets
- Experience driving high value business development opportunities with senior executives
- Experience in delivering consulting work in sustainability, ESG, corporate purpose and/or other related fields; Previous experience at a strategy house, big 4 firm or central strategy / corporate development team of a large company preferred
- In-depth expertise in major social, environmental and governance issues impacting business and other sectors; Track record as recognized, credible thought leader on these issues
- An ability to analyse strategic, operational, risk and financial implications of impact and sustainability trends and translate these into commercial impact
- Experience growing or starting a business preferred
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many of the top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
We’re proud to be named to Forbes’ 2022 lists of America’s Best Management Consulting Firms for the third year in a row and America’s Best PR Agencies in 2021, 2022 Top Five Best EMEA Networks to Work For by PRovoke, Top Places to Work in PR by PR News in 2020, 2019 EMEA Corporate Consultancy of the Year by the Holmes Report, 2019 Best Agency in the Middle East by PRWeek and 2019 Japan PR Consultancy of the Year by Campaign Asia!
About APCO Impact
APCO Impact is a unique consultancy within APCO Worldwide that takes an integrated and focused approach to social impact and sustainability. We partner with corporations, brands, nonprofits, foundations and governments to drive sustainability and weave positive social impact into decision-making at all levels. Our focus is on addressing root causes, changing systems and moving towards a more regenerative, equitable future. Our team brings together a range of experts across climate and sustainability, ESG, equity & justice, corporate purpose and philanthropy. Specialists in both strategy and operations, our teams are multi-generational and comprised of individuals who bring a mix of lived and professional experiences across the gamut of social and environmental issues. We are continually investing in our own knowledge, so we are positioned to help clients see across trends and around the corner.