Consultant, Government Affairs
APCO Worldwide—a leading global communications and strategy consultancy—is seeking a Consultant in Shanghai who will work under the supervision of a senior director. The successful candidate will interface with all levels of staff and clients with the following primary responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing portions of large client projects or managing small client projects independently, lead day-to-day client communication and coordination and has responsibility for budgeting and scope management
- Produce quality client deliverables (i.e. policy analysis memos, stakeholder engagement strategies, executive briefing materials, etc.)
- Manage and oversee the work of more junior colleagues, providing feedback and ensuring the quality of work
- Maintain an awareness of macro business issues impacting clients by conducting and analyzing research on a variety of client related issues
- Provide clients with strategic advice related to government affairs, and conduct stakeholder engagement under minimal supervision
- Prepare customized credential packages for prospective clients, highlighting APCO capabilities, relevant case studies, and high-level industry notes and observations under minimal supervision
- Draft complete proposals showing an understanding of APCO’s service offerings, tools and competence
- Build and cultivate relationships with key external stakeholders, including but not limited to government agencies, industry associations, think tanks, academia, key media and opinion leaders
- Maintain self-driven passion and actively develop knowledge of client issues and related industry trends, participate in industry networking events and inform team leaders of potential new business opportunities
- Other responsibilities as assigned, including but not limited to media relations, event management and crisis management related assignments
Requirements & qualifications:
Education: Bachelor’s degree or above
Experience: Minimum of 5-6 years of relevant working experience in a government organization, consulting firm, corporation, academic institution or diplomatic posting.
- Familiarity with China’s political system, experienced in government outreach, and keen interest in topics relating to policy development
- Strong analytical skills and solid project management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Collaborative team player that also has the ability to work independently, take initiative and set priorities
Languages: Native Chinese and proficient English speaking and writing skills required
The position will be based in APCO’s Shanghai office working alongside approximately 30 Chinese and international colleagues and a staff of more than 50 people across Greater China. Domestic and occasional international travel is a requirement of the job.
ABOUT APCO IN GREATER CHINA
Having entered the China market as one of the first consultancies in 1989, APCO has helped a wide range of organizations succeed in this complex but rewarding environment. We are keenly sensitive to changes in the political, regulatory and business landscape across China and advise business, government and non-profit organizations on issues critical to their success through our offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.
We provide our clients with business advisory and public affairs offerings ranging from market entry strategy and government relations to risk assessment. Our strategic communications expertise in crisis management, media engagement and digital communications help our clients protect and enhance their reputation in this fast-moving market.
Our multilingual, cross-cultural team of more than 50 is made up of professionals from a diverse range of backgrounds, including business, government, journalism, academia and non-profit. This breadth of experience and perspective allows us to provide integrated solutions tailored to the specific goals of our clients.