Associate Director, Corporate Communications
We have an immediate opening for an Associate Director, Corporate Communications to join our growing West Coast presence. We are entrepreneurial, collaborative, diverse and curious. Clients come to us to help solve challenging problems, create new ideas and campaigns, and move their business forward. We believe in the power of communication to affect change and we are excited by purposeful work.
At APCO, you’ll have the opportunity to work across disciplines, including corporate communication, crisis and issues, sustainability and corporate responsibility, media and stakeholder engagement, and digital/social media. Here in the West, we work with clients mainly in the tech, healthcare, consumer and nonprofit sectors.
- Independently manages several small accounts or projects for large accounts, serving as account lead and/or primary point of client contact with support, as needed
- Develops and manages project programming, including implementation plans, staffing plans, budgets, timelines and measurement/evaluation
- Lead client media relations efforts, including both strategy and execution
- Serves as the West Coast lead in our North American Media Relations practice
- Creates key messages and themes to best tell client stories and support client marketing and business plans
- Manages press inquiries and interview requests, draft company responses in conjunction with company leadership, and conduct pitch calls
- Integrates digital and social media tactics with overall communications strategy
- Manages client expectations, earning clients’ respect, trust and confidence
- Identify and monitor any emerging or current communications or reputational issues and manage company response in conjunction with company leadership
- Keeps team appropriately informed and involved in projects; ensure projects run smoothly, and help team members feel empowered, respected, and educated
- Identifies and secures assistance with emerging account challenges
- Supports new business development
- At least 6-8 years of corporate communications/PR experience/digital expertise; agency experience a big plus
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, or other related field
- Media relations experience developing and executing both traditional and digital media strategies, including media pitching, and analysis
- Strong relationships with technology, business and healthcare reporters at top-tier media outlets
- Superior writing skills with experience developing press releases, op-eds and other external communications
- Excellent client and interpersonal skills; ability to manage independent client relationships and communicate effectively
- Possesses an entrepreneurial spirit, a solution-oriented attitude and a growth mindset
- Well-versed in current events and headline news at local, national, and international levels
- Exemplary research, organizational, and communication skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and junior team members, as well as prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Microsoft and Adobe applications, media databases and social media networks
- Strong presentation skills
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.