Associate Director, Corporate Communications and Public Affairs
APCO Worldwide—a leading global communications consultancy—is looking for a dynamic public affairs/ communications professional to drive APCO’s Japan business with a broad range of international health care clients. The role will be based in Tokyo with some domestic travel and occasional travel to other markets.
We are searching for an experienced consultant and people manager who is energetic, analytical and excited to join a fast-moving and fast-growing consultancy and to lead a diverse portfolio of international clients, primarily in the health care and pharmaceutical industries. They will interface with all levels of staff and clients with the following primary responsibilities:
- Serves as the primary client contact and independently manages client relationships
- Leads internal and client meetings and offers clients insights and suggestions
- Provide strategic counsel and executional support, including written deliverables (memos, presentations, thought leadership) in Japanese (N1 level) and English (business level)
- Understands the political system/communications landscape in Japan
- Effective at presenting to and working with clients and stakeholders outside of Japan
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple projects/clients and sets high standards for client service
Note: This role will focus on corporate affairs, public affairs and strategic communications, not consumer PR or marketing communications.
- Strong consideration will be given to candidates with experience in the health care sector and who have worked in policy/advocacy, reputation/issues management, or equality and sustainability topics.
LEADERSHIP & TEAM MANAGEMENT
- Manages project teams of 1 to 3 people, develops team members’ skills, and offers coaching and mentoring
- Delegates tasks effectively and oversees client deliverables to ensure high quality standards
- Promotes a healthy work environment based on respect and support of colleagues
- Drives initiatives that recognize and reward staff efforts/achievements
- Encourages and values individual differences, diverse ideas, and experiences
- Works in close collaboration with other senior staff to generate new business
- Proposes innovative solutions and creative ideas for current and prospective clients
- Creates high quality proposals and pitch presentations
- Actively seeks opportunities for marketing APCO through thought leadership, networking, etc.
- Develops a professional network in which they are identified as an expert on corporate and public affairs
- Analyzes client requirements to develop scopes of work and budgets that are appropriate and profitable
- Engages clients to effectively address issues, manage budgets and makes changes as necessary to improve account performance
- Manages multiple projects/clients and effectively coordinates with other team leaders on project staffing
QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS:
EDUCATION: University degree or higher
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 8 years relevant experience in a consulting firm, corporation, government organization, academic institution or diplomatic posting.
OFFICE ENVIRONMENT: The position will be based in APCO’s Tokyo office working alongside approximately 15 Japanese and international staff in Tokyo, and with a wider pool of global colleagues. Some local travel and occasional international travel may be required.
APCO Worldwide is an advisory and advocacy communications consultancy helping leading public and private sector organizations act with agility, and build organizational reputations, brands, relationships and solutions to succeed.
Our expertise and integrated approach enable us to provide a full range of services, across industry sectors and global markets, allowing us to offer effective counsel and programs for boards of directors and CEOs. We meet the evolving needs of executives and their teams in communications, public affairs, government relations, legal, risk, organizational transformation, international relations, corporate responsibility and brand marketing.
APCO IN TOKYO
The future of Japan is the future of the developed world. And that future is being defined today.
The coming years will present opportunities for both domestic and multinational corporations to expand out of and break into the Japanese market, and APCO Tokyo is uniquely positioned to help you understand, translate, and address the complex web of challenges and opportunities.
Since its founding in 2014, APCO’s Tokyo office has predicted and adapted to the changes that are occurring in Japan. Beyond our office’s growth trajectory—now seven times its original headcount and revenue, the Tokyo team is one of the most diverse in APCO’s global network, attracting multi-lingual talent who have studied or worked in a dozen countries.
In addition to creating a dynamic office culture and fostering meaningful collaboration with colleagues outside Japan, our international experience and perspectives enable us to deliver unmatched, world-class counsel and service to our clients.
APCO’s Tokyo office has extensive experience in the health care, energy, and tech sectors, and is investing to grow in the consumer food and retail space.
In 2019, APCO Tokyo was named the Japan PR Consultancy of the Year at the PR Awards Asia. The team’s multi-year campaign to promote women’s health in Japan received the 2018 Public Affairs Asia Gold Standard Award for Government Relations and the 2019 PR Awards Asia Silver Award for Public Affairs.