APCO Worldwide—a leading global communications consultancy—is looking for a dynamic public affairs/ communications professional to drive APCO’s public affairs/communications business by maintaining and developing client relationships. The role will be based in Tokyo with some domestic travel and occasional international travel.
We are searching for an experienced consultant who is energetic, analytical and excited to manage significant portions of client projects. They will oversee tasks and workflow, prepare client-ready material, manage junior staff/teams, and engage in proposal development for new business. They will be a proven professional in public affairs/strategic communications with at least 5-8 years of relevant experience in managing projects within a consulting firm, PR or communications agency or in-house corporate communications experience.
- Manages projects independently and leads day-to-day client communication and coordination
- Produces excellent written deliverables in Japanese (N1 level) and English (business level), including client reports, proposals, and PowerPoint decks
- Strategist who understands the political system/communications landscape in Japan and can effectively advise and consult for clients, while also leading on execution
- Deep experience in government engagement/corporate and issue-focused media relations, digital communication and wider stakeholder engagement
- Effective at presenting to and working with clients and stakeholders outside of Japan
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple projects/clients and sets high standards for client service
Note: this role will focus on corporate affairs, public affairs and strategic communications, not consumer PR or marketing communications.
- Strong consideration will be given to candidates with experience in health care or technology sectors. Additionally, preference will be given to candidates who have worked on advocacy, issues management, or in communicating around SDGs, sustainability, diversity and inclusion, or gender equality.
LEADERSHIP & TEAM MANAGEMENT
- Manages client teams of 1 - 3 colleagues
- Supports team members’ development, and offers mentoring
- Promotes a healthy work environment based on respect and support of colleagues
- Entrepreneurial and drives initiatives that recognize and reward staff efforts/achievements
- Encourages and values individual differences, diverse ideas and experiences
- Actively participates new business pitches, contributing ideas and strategy
- Proposes innovative solutions and creative ideas for current and prospective clients
- Actively seeks opportunities for marketing APCO through thought leadership, networking, etc.
- Develops a network in which they are identified as an expert on corporate and public affairs
QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS:
EDUCATION: University degree or higher
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 5-8 years relevant experience in a consulting firm, corporation, government organization, academic institution or diplomatic posting.
OFFICE ENVIRONMENT: The position will be based in APCO’s Tokyo office working alongside approximately 12 Japanese and international staff in Tokyo, and with a wider pool of global colleagues. Some local travel and occasional international travel may be required.
APCO Worldwide is an advisory and advocacy communications consultancy helping leading public and private sector organizations act with agility, and build organizational reputations, brands, relationships and solutions to succeed.
Our expertise and integrated approach enable us to provide a full range of services, across industry sectors and global markets, allowing us to offer effective counsel and programs for boards of directors and CEOs. We meet the evolving needs of executives and their teams in communications, public affairs, government relations, legal, risk, organizational transformation, international relations, corporate responsibility and brand marketing.
APCO IN TOKYO
The future of Japan is the future of the developed world. And that future is being defined today.
The coming years will present opportunities for both domestic and multinational corporations to expand out of and break into the Japanese market, and APCO Tokyo is uniquely positioned to help you understand, translate, and address the complex web of challenges and opportunities.
Since its founding in 2014, APCO’s Tokyo office has predicted and adapted to the changes that are occurring in Japan. Beyond our office’s growth trajectory—now seven times its original headcount and revenue, the Tokyo team is one of the most diverse in APCO’s global network, attracting multi-lingual talent who have studied or worked in a dozen countries.
In addition to creating a dynamic office culture and fostering meaningful collaboration with colleagues outside Japan, our international experience and perspectives enable us to deliver unmatched, world-class counsel and service to our clients.
APCO’s Tokyo office has extensive experience in the health care, energy, and tech sectors, and is investing to grow in the consumer food and retail space.
In 2019, APCO Tokyo was named the Japan PR Consultancy of the Year at the PR Awards Asia. The team’s multi-year campaign to promote women’s health in Japan received the 2018 Public Affairs Asia Gold Standard Award for Government Relations and the 2019 PR Awards Asia Silver Award for Public Affairs.