Associate Director, Sustainability & Social Impact
APCO Impact is a unique consultancy that takes an integrated and focused approach to social impact and sustainability. We partner with corporations, brands, nonprofits, foundations and governments to drive sustainability and weave positive social impact into decision-making at all levels. Our focus is on addressing root causes, changing systems and moving towards a more regenerative, equitable future. Our team brings together a range of experts across climate and sustainability, ESG, equity & justice, corporate purpose and philanthropy. Specialists in both strategy and operations, our teams are multi-generational and comprised of individuals who bring a mix of lived and professional experiences across the gamut of social and environmental issues. We are continually investing in our own knowledge so we are positioned to help clients see across trends and around the corner.
APCO Impact sits within APCO Worldwide, a global public affairs agency, allowing us to bring specialized expertise in the social sector, while also bringing to bear APCO’s global network of best-in-class policy, communications and advocacy professionals. Our core team includes staff from The Tembo Group and Global Philanthropy Group, which are two boutique philanthropic and social impact consulting firms acquired by APCO over the past year.
The Associate Director, Social Impact & Sustainability will be joining a team of global professionals who operate across sectors and geographies to support clients in igniting transformational change. You can expect that no day will be the same, and there will be limitless opportunities for creativity, alongside a lot of hard, fun and meaningful work. We are committed to our clients and expect nothing short of excellence.
The Associate Director, Social Impact & Sustainability will have primary responsibility for managing daily client interaction, workflow, timelines and deliverables. She/he/they will also work hand-in-hand with senior leaders across the West to drive business development. This is an ideal position for someone who is passionate about social impact, sustainability and progressive issues, and wants to bring the qualitative and quantitative rigor of management consulting to bear on solving the major issues of our time.
- Lead day-to-day execution of client engagements, taking ownership of the overall project and its end products. You will make an important contribution to the analysis, design, and implementation of client strategies and approaches, working closely with clients to ensure positive impact and sustainable results
- Scope and manage work-streams, closely manage progress against objectives, highlighting roadblocks as soon as they arise and taking responsibility for high-quality, timely execution of deliverables (e.g. client presentations, research briefs, memos)
- Research, gather and analyze information, formulate and test hypotheses, translate research into recommendations for client presentations
- Lead weekly problem-solving sessions to align on client work planning, facilitate decision-making, iterate on solutions and find work-arounds as needed (both internal and with clients)
- Support the ongoing growth and success of APCO Impact, including business development and proposal writing
- Expand a growing internal database of consulting tools, templates, research, and case studies
- Attend social impact networking events, do outreach and communications to build relationships, contribute to marketing and thought leadership
- Coach and support junior members of the team
- You have a Bachelor’s degree with an outstanding academic record; Advanced degree or MBA is preferred
- 6-8 years of professional experience; at least two years in management consulting
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem solving skills, experience building financial models, analyzing complex data sets, and distilling into key insights
- You thrive in complexity, are a natural problem-solver with an entrepreneurial sensibility, and dig deep for patterns and paths, even amidst a great deal of ambiguity
- You love structure, organization, and are detail oriented, but never miss the big picture
- You have a ‘no task too small’ mentality and know how to collaborate effectively within a distributed fast-paced team
- You are comfortable developing project scopes and deliverables in industries and project areas you don’t necessarily have deep expertise in
- You have a confident presence and strong writing, communication and presentation skills, and ability to communicate effectively, including with senior leaders
- You enjoy the variety and sometimes-chaos of managing a wide range of client projects from “tip to tail"
- You bring an understanding of the landscape, and connections across the worlds of sustainability and social impact, international development and progressive issues, and you have had success building and/or contributing to organizations that drive social impact
- You have a high level of proficiency with MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.