Associate Director, Media Relations
APCO Worldwide, a global strategic communication firm, is seeking an Associate Director to join its Washington, D.C., office.
The Media Relations Associate Director leads client teams through the strategic pursuit of earned traditional and digital media coverage, as well as thought leadership, stakeholder engagement and reputation management. This position focuses on exciting global assignments with a U.S. component and offers the opportunity to work with APCO teams across the globe.
- Oversees global media and public relations efforts, including developing global media relations strategies and managing PR initiatives for clients
- Develops relationships with reporters, editors, producers and bloggers in target top tier, consumer, business and trade media; manage strategy and execution for media campaigns; and proactively pitch media on a regular basis, managing pitch teams
- Creates thought leadership plans and executes by collaborating with key staff to develop content for placement, identifying opportunities for paid, earned, owned and shared placements. Examples include guest columns, op-eds, blog posts, videos, infographics, tweets, sponsored content, etc.
- Works with client teams to prepare background documents, talking points and collateral materials for speaking engagements for the CEO, executive chairman and other senior company executives as appropriate
- Reviews thought leadership pieces for content, tone and grammar
- Demonstrates attention to detail and strong project management skills
- Ability to work across time zones, geographies and cultures
- Ability to manage several projects and responsibilities and manage staff and budgets
- Strong client service orientation
- FARA (Foreign Agent Registration Act) registration will be required to service some international clients
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- BA/BS in related field required or equivalent experience including prior public relations agency and/or media relations experience
- A minimum of 6-8 years of relevant experience
- Proven track record designing and executing successful public relations campaigns
- Experience managing large scope projects that require coordination across internal and external teams under tight deadlines
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Experience working with foreign governments and companies helpful, but not required
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Collaborative team player that also can work independently and be a self-starter, take initiative and set priorities
- Global thinker
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with 34 offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions, and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.