Consultant, ESG and Social Impact Strategy and Communications (early/mid career)
We are looking for a dynamic professional with experience in ESG and sustainability strategy and communications and reporting to join the APCO and APCO Impact team. This role will combine corporate advisory and strategic communications, public policy, advocacy, stakeholder engagement and crisis and issues management, as it relates to environmental, social and governance issues. A successful candidate will have experience with technical aspects of ESG, including a strong understanding of markets, ESG ratings and climate, and a strong interest in current events and grappling with complex challenges.
This role will oversee tasks and workflow, prepare client-ready materials, manage junior staff/teams, and engage in new business opportunities. The successful candidate will bring curiosity, critical thinking, empathy and excellent written/oral presentation skills, while demonstrating a proven track record in strategic communications, with at least 3-6 years of experience of managing projects within a consulting firm or role.
- Manages projects independently and leads day-to-day client communication and coordination
- Produces excellent written deliverables in English (business level), including client reports, proposals, and PowerPoint decks
- Actively follows the landscape for Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) communications, including ESG standards, and can effectively advise and consult for clients, while also leading on project execution
- Deep experience in research and analysis, issue-focused communication, and stakeholder engagement
- Leads ESG strategy, communications and reporting projects, with guidance from senior leaders and support from junior team members
- Presents to and works with clients and stakeholders within corporate, nonprofit and government organizations
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple projects/clients and sets high standards for client service
Note: this role will focus on corporate affairs, business strategy and strategic communications.
- Additionally, preference will be given to candidates who have worked on issues management, media and digital engagement, and/or in communicating with diverse stakeholder geographically and demographically.
LEADERSHIP & TEAM MANAGEMENT
- Manages client teams of 1 - 3 colleagues
- Supports team members’ development, and offers mentoring
- Promotes a healthy work environment based on respect and support of colleagues
- Entrepreneurial and drives initiatives that recognize and reward staff efforts/achievements
- Encourages and values individual differences, diverse ideas and experiences
- Actively participates in new business pitches, contributing ideas and strategy
- Proposes innovative solutions and creative ideas for current and prospective clients
- Actively seeks opportunities for marketing APCO through thought leadership, networking, etc.
- Develops a network of professional contacts where s/he is identified as an expert on corporate and public affairs
QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS:
- Minimum of 3-6 years relevant experience in a consulting firm, corporation, government organization, academic institution or diplomatic posting.
About APCO in New York
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many of the top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.
About APCO Impact
APCO Impact is a unique consultancy that takes an integrated and focused approach to social impact and sustainability. We partner with corporations, brands, nonprofits, foundations and governments to drive sustainability and weave positive social impact into decision-making at all levels. Our focus is on addressing root causes, changing systems and moving towards a more regenerative, equitable future. Our team brings together a range of experts across climate and sustainability, ESG, equity & justice, corporate purpose and philanthropy. Specialists in both strategy and operations, our teams are multi-generational and comprised of individuals who bring a mix of lived and professional experiences across the gamut of social and environmental issues. We are continually investing in our own knowledge so we are positioned to help clients see across trends and around the corner.
APCO Impact sits within APCO Worldwide, a global public affairs agency, allowing us to bring specialized expertise in the social sector, while also bringing to bear APCO’s global network of best-in-class policy, communications and advocacy professionals.