Head of Media Relations(Director/Senior Director)
APCO London is looking for an experienced Director / Senior Director to join us as our Head of Media Relations. You’ll be based in our brand new London office at 40 Strand and lead a rapidly-growing team of media relations experts within our Corporate Communications team.
You will be a member of our London leadership team and play a pivotal role in driving growth of our media and corp comms practice in the UK and Europe. Already a fundamental part of our offering in the region, we want to build on strong foundations to take this part of our business to the next level, and you will play a key role in this growth and evolution alongside global colleagues.
Your role will comprise:
- Strategic counsel – being a key strategic advisor to the teams on our largest corporate & media focused accounts, helping them to better service our clients
- Client service – working directly with clients, building trusting relationships with them and advising them on media relations strategy
- New business – supporting/leading new business proposals & pitches and building a network of contacts that will help to bring in new opportunities to APCO
- Team development – leading and mentoring our media relations team, helping to inspire, upskill and coordinate a growing team of 10+ media relations consultants
- Developing and enhancing offerings across media relations disciplines including crisis, executive positioning, storytelling, and political communications.
- Working closely with our media relations leads in North America, MENA and Southeast Asia on global accounts and new business opportunities.
The successful candidate will have:
- A communications agency background
- Specialist sector expertise not vital, but knowledge of and interest in Tech, Fintech, Healthcare, Life Sciences, Engineering, Manufacturing and Sustainability would be beneficial
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to mentor a team of colleagues
- In-depth understanding of the media landscape in the UK, in Europe and globally – ideally with some experience as a journalist
- Strong contacts book at Tier 1 media across print and broadcast
- Political communications background an advantage
- Good understanding of how earned media fits into wider landscape of paid, earned, shared and owned media
- Good presentation and pitching experience
- Globally minded, strategic with has a hands-on approach
What APCO could offer you:
- Industry leading salary and bonus package
- Excellent benefits and wellbeing programme: 25 days annual leave(plus holiday season office closure), 5% employer pension contribution, private medical & dental insurance, life assurance, income protection, interest free season ticket loan, health and wellness allowance and increased maternity and enhanced parental leave policy!