Associate Director, Internal Communications
We are seeking an Associate Director, Internal Communications.
As an Associate Director, you will lead project work and collaborate closely with colleagues at all levels and around the world on research, writing, media, and creative problem-solving. You’ll have the opportunity to work across disciplines, including corporate communication, crisis and issues, sustainability and corporate responsibility, media relations and stakeholder engagement, and digital/social media. And you could work with clients in food and consumer products, healthcare, tech, financial, energy and nonprofit sectors.
- Lead day-to-day strategic communications account work, with assistance from more junior and senior colleagues, for our high profile, globally recognized clients
- Independently manages several small projects and engage with clients with support and supervision, as needed
- Manages client expectations, earning their respect, trust and confidence through proactive account management to successfully maintain and grow client relationships
- Develops and manages project programming, including implementation plans, staffing plans, budgets, timelines and measurement/evaluation
- Produces high-quality, client-ready written deliverables, such as press materials, messaging toolkits, social media strategies, and advocacy communications, often under tight deadlines
- Leads media relations efforts, including cultivating relationships with media, drafting strategies, organizing press conferences, and more
- Integrates digital and social media tactics with overall communications strategy and construct traditional and digital measurement deliverables upon request
- Familiarity with a variety of social media tools and the metrics that drive success within those tools
- Supports business development activities, including drafting of written proposals, developing new business presentations and participating in pitch presentations
- Articulates and applies agency vision, goals, practice areas, products, and overall capabilities
- At least 7-10 years of PR/strategic communications, public affairs or media experience – agency experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in English, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, or other related field
- Solid project management experience and a proven ability to manage multiple projects and client initiatives and teams of both junior and senior colleagues in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience developing and supporting strategic communications (corporate communications, issues management, internal communications, crisis communications, etc.) plans across various industries and subject areas (healthcare, food and consumer goods, travel, technology, transportation, energy, etc.)
- Demonstrate exceptional presentation, writing and analytical skills, including experience writing strategic plans, messaging and press materials and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Excellent client and interpersonal skills; ability to manage independent client relationships and communicate effectively by phone, email, and in-person
- Well-versed in current events and headline news at local, national, and international levels
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, media databases and social media networks
Founded in Washington, D.C, in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with more than 30 offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia – with a diverse global team of more than 650 experts.
APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and non-profit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business and has is recognized by the Holmes Report as the "Agency of the Decade" and "Best Large Agency to Work For."
We have an immediate opening for an Associate Director of Internal Communications. The successful candidate for this role will play an integral role in communicating our organization’s business priorities and progress; purpose and values; and will help drive employee engagement in support of key priorities. This includes partnering closely with Executive Leadership, Human Resources and Global Marketing and Communications to develop overall company communication strategy and execution of that strategy through written, video, in person and Workplace channels to ensure a consistent message is received throughout the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the senior director, global marketing, and communications:
- Partners with the head of marketing and communications and relevant internal stakeholders to develop and execute the internal communication strategic plan for APCO in partnership with Executive Leadership and Human Resources in alignment with company goals, culture, and brand.
- Manages the internal communication process, including overseeing the evaluation of communications channels, development of communication tools and messages, delivery of internal communications and management of content to ensure consistency of key messages. Develops approaches to enhance and positively promote the company values, branding and messages within the company.
- Develops content for a variety of communications channels on a range of subjects including business strategy, organizational initiatives, organization changes, benefits, policies and practices, and other information of importance to a diverse employee group.
- Identifies and develops innovative and creative short and long-term solutions for internal communications and employee engagement.
- Directs, educates, inspires and engages leaders and managers at various levels in support of communicating key business strategies; connecting employees to company values, culture and results; and helping create employee connections within the organization.
- Maintains regular communications with leadership and employees throughout the Company to understand communication needs and identify any potential gaps. Confers with employees at all levels of the company to gather information and formulate approaches to maximize communication messages. Consults with internal stakeholders to develop communications strategies for specific situations.
- Partners with business leaders across offices, practices and operational groups to create plans and organize dissemination of internal news and announcements in core business areas and around key initiatives.
- Oversees preparation of routine communication to connect all employees, such as new hires, promotions, organizational changes, company initiatives and results, business and employee success stories, company position/response to internal issues.
- Acts as a liaison between internal communications and external communications and marketing efforts, coordinating the intersection between the two to ensure consistent messaging and alignment.
- Liaises with the talent team to ensure all employee programs are effectively communicated and align with the company’s strategic business priorities reinforcing an Employer of Choice culture.
- Plans and coordinates details involved with internal company events such as anniversaries, celebrations of purpose, Town Halls and other employee engagement events intended to develop greater connection with and understanding between employees at all levels of the company.
Desired skills / experience:
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in an internal communications role
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a related field
- An understanding of the communications and public affairs sector
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
APCO Worldwide is a global communication consultancy. We help the most innovative organizations adapt and thrive in this fast-moving, interconnected and complex world, enabling them to reach their business and societal goals. We bring our clients' work to life creatively and digitally through diverse thinking and a campaign mentality that is not limited by any particular service or discipline but embraces a variety of integrated tactics to achieve success. APCO is a majority employee- and women-owned business. Distinct Perspectives. Deliver Impact. Challenge yourself. What will your APCO experience be?