Associate Director, Government Affairs, Shanghai
APCO Worldwide—a leading global communications and strategy consultancy—is seeking an exceptional mid-to-senior level consulting professional (Associate Director) in Shanghai who will report directly to a Senior Director.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading client relationships, developing strategy, managing accounts teams, writing client deliverables and helping to grow the business. The candidate will be an experienced consultant and/or team manager with deep experience helping multinational companies navigate China’s business and government landscape. The candidate should have a proven track record in stakeholder engagement, effective communications, business development, client service, and team leadership.
- Leads client work and is responsible for managing client relationship(s).
- Responsible for identifying the strategy and tactics to support client objectives.
- Conducts and guides research, develops plans and presentations, properly scoping and pricing work, as well as managing work activities and resources within agreed budgets.
- Offers clients and colleagues insights, observations and suggestions; establishes credibility by sharing insights; encourages and motivates others to share ideas and insights.
- Demonstrates APCO’s values in all interactions with clients, colleagues, and vendors.
- Analyzes client requirements to develop scopes of work and budgets that are
- Engages clients to effectively address issues, manage budgets and adjust team performance.
- Manages client teams of 1-2 colleagues, develops team members’ skills, and offers feedback and mentoring.
- Promotes a healthy work environment based on respect and support of colleagues.
- Be entrepreneurial and drives initiatives that recognize and reward people’s efforts/achievements.
- Encourages and values individual differences, diverse ideas and experiences.
- Establishes a strong network across APCO’s 30+ offices and engages in productive exchanges with colleagues to promote knowledge sharing, business opportunities, and resources.
- Successfully generates and supports new business.
- Creates high-quality proposals and pitch presentations that are considered best in class.
- Proposes innovative solutions and creative ideas for current and prospective clients.
- Actively seeks opportunities for marketing APCO through thought leadership, networking, etc.
- Identified as a trusted and credible expert, and networks externally.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree or above from an accredited college or university preferably in Public Administration, Journalism, Public Relations, Political Science, International Affairs, Business Administration or related fields.
- Master’s degree holder preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in consulting or client advisory roles, particularly working on government relations and/or public affairs issues in China.
Strong consideration will be given to candidates with experience in consumer goods, advanced manufacturing, financial services, or technology sectors.
- Has experience navigating central, provincial and city government and policy, as well as engaging other critical stakeholders (e.g. media, international policy elites, academics, think tanks) to develop effective programs for multinational companies.
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Native Chinese; Excellent English in speaking and writing.
The position will be based in APCO’s Shanghai office working alongside approximately 30 Chinese and international colleagues and a staff of more than 50 people across Greater China. Domestic and occasional international travel is a requirement of the job.
APCO Worldwide is an advisory and advocacy communications consultancy helping leading public and private sector organizations act with agility, and build organizational reputations, brands, relationships and solutions to succeed.
Our expertise and integrated approach enable us to provide a full range of services, across industry sectors and global markets, allowing us to offer effective counsel and programs for boards of directors and CEOs. We meet the evolving needs of executives and their teams in communications, public affairs, government relations, legal, risk, organizational transformation, international relations, corporate responsibility and brand marketing.
APCO IN GREATER CHINA
Having entered the China market as one of the first consultancies in 1989, APCO has helped a wide range of organizations succeed in this complex but rewarding environment. We are keenly sensitive to changes in the political, regulatory and business landscape across China and advise business, government and non-profit organizations on issues critical to their success through our offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.
We provide our clients with business advisory and public affairs offerings ranging from market entry strategy and government relations to risk assessment. Our strategic communications expertise in crisis management, media engagement and digital communications help our clients protect and enhance their reputation in this fast-moving market.
Our multilingual, cross-cultural team of more than 50 is made up of professionals from a diverse range of backgrounds, including business, government, journalism, academia and non-profit. This breadth of experience and perspective allows us to provide integrated solutions tailored to the specific goals of our clients.