Associate Director, Corporate Communications
Corporate leaders are tasked with navigating increasingly dynamic markets to secure business growth. APCO’s corporate communications strategists advise these leaders to strengthen their relationships with stakeholders and navigate the complex intersection of corporate identity, issues management and brand advocacy.
Our diverse team includes bold, seasoned communicators from a range of backgrounds who, collectively, deliver a comprehensive understanding of the societal context, stakeholder expectations and spheres of influence that shape corporate decision-making.
Our multidisciplinary team is trusted by market-defining organizations to chart the path for business communications that is reshaping entire industries. We are seeking an inherently curious, self-motivated leader to join the team to oversee significant initiatives on behalf of our corporate clients.
What we bring you: The opportunity to work with smart, driven colleagues around the country and across the globe. Amazing in-house opinion research, creative and digital experts as part of your team. The chance to work on some of the most interesting and challenging issues of the day for leading companies and associations. An opportunity to shine, succeed and drive real societal impact, based on what you bring to the table – not where you sit on the org chart.
Subject Matter Expertise
- Maintains an active line of sight into the broad business environment and industries of relevance to clients
- Distills information beyond static news to equip clients to comprehensively understand implications of various scenarios of action
Client & Account Leadership
- Serves as lead relationship manager to a set of corporate clients and oversees substantial, integrated communications engagements
- Confidently engages with senior client team members and executive staff; adeptly leads client meetings with foresight and planning
- Builds credibility with clients by offering knowledgeable observations, insights and strategic thinking regarding communications and public affairs activities, informed by prior experience and deep knowledge of the relevant sector
- Oversees the management of internal and client timelines that guide the development of and execution of various initiatives
- Manages multi-million dollar budgets and contracts
- Guides APCO teams, including the daily engagement of colleagues to ensure alignment on objectives
- Actively engages in team member development; acts as a leader and mentor to team members
- Demonstrates performance in expanding established engagements and actively pursues new opportunities with prospects, including leading business development activities
- Maintains a strong professional network and is viewed as an expert in the market
- Leads and engages in annual business planning efforts
- Minimum of 6 years actively contributing to integrated communications or public affairs efforts, with demonstrable results tied to such activities
- Strong understanding of media relations and the ability to interface proactively with journalists
- Deep understanding of corporate affairs and the complex environment within which business leaders operate to manage enterprises at scale
- Exceptional ability to write strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Critical thinking
- Demonstrated curiosity in the affairs of the day
- Knowledge of and deep interest in themes of equity and social justice is desirable
- Incredibly detail-oriented
- Experience managing a budget
- Experience managing individuals and/or a team
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.