Associate Consultant/Consultant - Competition
A unique opportunity on competition-based public affairs and communications work in our Brussels office!
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many of the top companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
By joining our team, you will be working with colleagues who are open, collaborative, diverse and curious. Our competition clients come to us to help support them on regulation, transactions and antitrust cases that often have a very significant impact on their business operations in Europe and often globally. We support them in the public policy domain and through communications to ensure that their businesses and the benefits they bring to commerce and consumers are fully understood.
About APCO in Brussels
Brussels is the heart of the European Union, a €14 trillion single market of over 500 million consumers. Decisions taken in Brussels, for example concerning legislation, international trade and competition, can directly shape global policy and regulation in every business sector. Brussels’ relevance to business, politics and society is only expected to grow. This makes it a natural hub for pan-European and international public affairs and communication programs.
Profile and Responsibilities:
The Associate Consultant / Consultant should have 3 to 7 years’ experience and thrive in a fast-moving and intellectually challenging environment where a commitment to delivering consistent excellence in client service is a strong motivating force. She/he should demonstrate strong organisational capabilities, tactical ability and have strong written and oral communication skills. She/he will have a strong desire to learn the business and policy dynamics in a range of different areas from the vantage point of competition policy and enforcement.
The Associate Consultant / Consultant is involved with day-to-day support of client assignments by monitoring issues or media, conducting and analysing research on a variety of client-related issues or on business development efforts and by drafting materials for clients for both internal and external use. Associate Consultants are responsible for coordinating client meetings and events and delegating tasks to junior team members and working on client deliverables under the supervision of a more senior team member.
The Associate Consultant / Consultant interfaces with all levels of internal staff and client staff regarding project issues.
- Plays a key role in organizing and delivering coverage of all relevant policy, political, media and stakeholder developments to clients, explaining and analysing the business implications with clarity and conciseness.
- Participates actively in internal and client meetings, offering knowledgeable observations and suggestions; maintains self-awareness and professionalism to ensure contributions are appropriate.
- Participates in client meetings and adds value to discussion with appropriate awareness of meeting and client dynamics.
- Is able to maintain reliable contact with clients in providing service; maintain email/telephone contact with clients as needed, without requiring a supervisor to intervene.
- Actively participates in internal and client brainstorming sessions.
- Identifies ways for expanding client engagement and presents ideas to senior staff members.
- Prepares customized credential packages for prospective clients, highlighting APCO capabilities, relevant case studies, and high-level industry notes and observations (requiring minimal revisions by managers)
- Drafts complete proposals for client work showing an understanding of APCO’s tools, structure and service offerings; oversees the deliverable production process
- Reviews the work of junior colleagues to ensure work of the highest quality is delivered to the client on each and every occasion.
- Proactively identifies external meetings and training opportunities to attend to build sector knowledge and contacts.
Qualifications & Desired Skills:
- Degree and/or post-graduate degree in any related field to the role.
- Prior relevant work experience in consultancy, in-house, European institutions, or within associations, with focus on EU competition law and policy.
- Experience in technology policy will also be considered a plus.
- Fluency in English (speaking and writing);
- Excellent command of another EU Member State's language desirable;
- Excellent communication & writing skills;
- Strong understanding of EU institutions and decision-making procedures, notably in the competition domain;
- Knowledge of sectors of economic activity and their related EU policies as they interact with EU competition policy and enforcement is a significant plus;
- Good team player, proactive “can-do” attitude;
- Computer Skills: MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and perform under tight deadlines;
- Eligible to work in the EU.
Only candidates with demonstrable experience and skills matching the above profile and requirements should apply.
Since 1995, APCO has been at the forefront of strategic counsel and stakeholder engagement in Brussels. We act as trusted advisors and partners to businesses, governments, associations, law firms and non-profits from around the world. We combine a variety of integrated, innovative public affairs services, from sophisticated polling and research, to thought-leadership positioning, and digital and creative campaigns. Our diverse and multicultural team keeps our clients informed ahead of time and works seamlessly with colleagues in European capitals and beyond.
With our strategic communication experience and creative-thinking, we help clients tackle complex business-critical challenges. We create compelling campaigns that build trust, foster reputations and change perceptions in the heart of Europe, enabling our clients to see more clearly, communicate more authentically and act with real decisiveness when it comes to shaping debates and securing their goals.
APCO was awarded Best Agency to Work for: EMEA Network in 2017 and 2019 and EMEA Corporate Consultancy of the year, 2019 by the PRovoke Media.