Consultant/Senior Consultant, Corporate Advisory & Global Issues
As a Consultant in APCO’s corporate advisory group you will work with a diverse group of talented and collaborative colleagues across the U.S., as well as globally. You will play a key role in coordinating and driving client projects, and support execution and engagement of high-profile communications programs. The selected candidate must have the ability to support inter-disciplinary teams, manage competing priorities and deadlines, and ensure flawless client support under tight deadlines while staying abreast of current events at the national and international level. You will have the opportunity to work across disciplines: corporate affairs, public affairs & policy, geo-commerce, litigation and crises, issues management, ESG, communications, financial, media relations, and digital engagement.
- Counsel clients on complex geopolitical, corporate affairs and reputational issues, developing a strong understanding and analysis of their issues
- Produce high-quality, client-ready written deliverables, such as messaging, white papers, issue briefings, strategy presentations, press materials, communication toolkits and/or social media strategies, often under tight deadlines
- Support proactive outreach and engagement with current and future external partners that may include media, policy, NGO and business leaders, supporting both client and APCO team efforts
- Manage clients’ expectations, earning their respect, trust and confidence through proactive account management to successfully maintain and grow client relationships
- Develop and manage project programming, including implementation plans, staffing plans, budgets, timelines and measurement/evaluation
- Manage day-to-day activities to support team and client mobilization
- Monitor and stay abreast of external developments in key client issue areas, and identify opportunities for further client engagement
- Make recommendations for connections and synergies across various APCO clients or between clients and effective, reputable partners who are active in relevant issue areas
- Collaborate with APCO teams across practice areas and geographies and lead on new business development initiatives, including drafting written proposals, developing new business presentations and participating in pitch presentations
- A minimum of 4-6 years of relevant experience. Experience in a consulting/advisory firm is a plus
- Keen interest in and understanding of the issues faced by global businesses, domestically and in international markets, particularly in the context of U.S.-China relations
- Bachelor’s / Master’s degree from an accredited university in International Affairs, Business, Journalism, Political Science, Communications, or other related fields
- Solid project management experience and a proven ability to manage multiple projects and client initiatives and teams of both junior and senior colleagues in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience developing and supporting public affairs / strategic communications plans (corporate communications, issues management, internal communications, crisis communications, etc.) across various industries and subject areas (technology, food & consumer goods, energy, healthcare, etc.)
- Excellent client management and interpersonal skills; ability to manage independent client relationships and communicate effectively by phone, email, and in-person
- Exceptional presentation, writing and analytical skills with the ability to think strategically and creatively under tight deadlines.
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.