Associate Director, Data Science
APCO Insight®, the strategic research consultancy within global communication firm APCO Worldwide, is seeking an Associate Director, Data Science (account executive or director of research equivalent) to develop and lead client accounts. The position may be based in New York, Washington, D.C., Chicago or Raleigh.
In this hands-on role, the Associate Director will work with APCO Insight data science team members in executing advanced data analytics assignments on behalf of the organization and clients. APCO Insight® works with many of the world’s leading companies, associations, nonprofits and public-sector organizations on a diverse range of challenges. Our core research capabilities support reputation management, corporate brand and campaign communications, issue and crisis management, message and creative development, and thought leadership programs.
APCO Insight’s data science team is increasingly involved in assignments employing statistics (e.g., linear/logistics regression, clustering) to develop insights for communication strategy. The candidate will be involved in secondary research techniques, digital and social media research, and structured/unstructured data analytics. Data science assignments involve four core areas: (1) Software Knowledge, (2) Analytics Methodology Selection, (3) Analytics Execution and (4) Data Storytelling.
- Serves as lead relationship manager to clients and oversees research assignments
- Confidently engages with senior-level colleagues and clients, including leading meetings and making presentations
- Mentors and coaches mid-level and junior research team members
- Recommends end-to-end research solutions from an “insights from anywhere” perspective, selecting research methods based on the research objective, audience and resources
- Delivers high-quality domestic and international data science-based research studies through hands-on activities, such as developing the research approach, using digital research tools to analyze the conversation landscape and identify target audiences and influencers, conducting analytics, reporting on results, and delivering insights to the client
- Enjoys telling stories about the “why” of people and issues to inform richer strategies
- Anticipates and monitors client industry trends, strategic needs, and objectives.
- Develops new data-driven research and insights products that can be sold into clients
- Demonstrates performance in growing clients organically and actively pursues new opportunities with prospects, including leading business development activities
- Participates in thought leadership activities
- Engages in annual business planning efforts
- 7-9 years of relevant experience, preferably at a communications, public relations or advertising agency
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Business or Data Science from an accredited college or university
- Proficiency with digital and social media research tools such as Quid, Affinio, Brandwatch, Talkwalker or other similar programs, and statistical and analytical programs like SPSS, R, other comparable statistical programs or programming in Python and related languages
- Ability to write complex Boolean language queries for advanced searches in software data
- Exceptional presentation, writing, and analytical skills including the ability to write strategically under tight deadlines
- Incredibly detail-oriented and deadline driven
- Experience managing budgets
- Experience managing individuals and/or a team
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative team inclination
Furthermore, the ideal candidate will have an interest in working within a start-up group on an entrepreneurial team within APCO Insight to help develop and grow the data science group.
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many of the top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.