Account Director, Crisis Management
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
The Account Director is primarily responsible for managing client relationship(s), client projects by supervising project teams and delegate projects and tasks effectively. The Associate Director is responsible for preparing crisis management proposals and delivering on crisis management assignments for clients. This includes crisis preparedness, live crisis management, and crisis recovery.
Primary duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as APCO client lead managing workstreams and keeping track of deliverables against deadlines.
- Assists clients with developing communications strategies and tactical stakeholder communications plans to help manage issues and crises and mitigate reputation risks for clients.
- Manages the implementation of stakeholder communications plans, including reviewing and/or drafting stakeholder engagement materials (e.g., holding statements, fact sheets, and FAQS) and engaging with key stakeholders.
- Provides on-site support, as appropriate, for a client crisis or during a client trial.
- Collaborates with an APCO team spread across multiple offices.
- Takes ownership of developing and expanding client relationships and developing new business.
- Participates in new business efforts, including RFP responses, across APCO.
- Maintains deep understanding of industry topics, issues, or news involving client accounts in order to effectively deliver strong and creative communication strategies that are relevant to their needs and business objectives.
- Supports several client projects at the same time.
- AD-Hoc Assignments/reports:
- As per the Direct Manager’s requests
- Client relationship skills
- Crisis management skills
- Writing and Analytical skills
- Presentation skills
- Leadership skills
- Decision making skills
- Analytical skills
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in crisis, strategic, and litigation communication. PR Agency, business consulting, or law firm experience preferred.
- Familiarity with the legal system and legal documents is ideal.
- Exceptional writing and analytical skills and experience in stakeholder-focused communications and digital strategy.
- Detail-oriented, quick learner, ability to work independently, responsive to a rapidly changing environment, work well under tight deadlines, manage multiple complex projects and priorities simultaneously, be a self-starter, take initiative, and set priorities.
- Solid project management experience.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative team player.
- The physical abilities needed to perform the duties of this position, in addition to the office climate:
- Office environment is general office setting
- Regional travel will be required
- Must reside in Dubai or be willing to relocate
- Willing to work additional or irregular hours as needed and allowed by local regulations
Home to some of the fastest growing economies in the world, the Middle East and North Africa region has a pivotal role to play in driving global conversations – from environmental policies to religion and pop culture. The UAE and Saudi Arabia are clear leaders in this equation, although the wave of innovation continues to transcend borders.
APCO launched its regional operations in 2006 in Dubai. Growing from a team of less than 10 consultants, APCO today has over 200 people from 26 countries working in teams across Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Riyadh, Manama and Kuwait and our projects take us to countries across the region and the Levant. APCO was awarded Best Agency in the Middle East by PRWeek in 2019 and Best Agency to Work for: EMEA Network by PRovoke Media in 2017 and 2019.
With a portfolio of over 100 clients, APCO’s MENA offices deliver public relations and digital communication support across health, food, consumer & retail, finance, technology, real estate & hospitality, non-profit and public affairs practices. The region also offers specialized services, created for the Middle East, such as our Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) model and our Compass and License to Operate offerings.
In addition, APCO’s global AI Comms Lab, a first-of-its-kind innovation center which utilizes artificial intelligence to build and protect the reputations of major global brands, governments and organizations is driven from the Dubai office.
From helping governments connect with the private sector and civil society, to supporting the Pope’s historic visit to the region and launching iconic brands and destinations, we understand the nuances of the MENA region and pride ourselves on making an impact.