Associate Director- Corporate Communications
We have an immediate opportunity for a strategic communications professional to join our growing Transportation practice in Washington, DC.
As an Associate Director, you will play a key role in driving client projects forward and contribute to the regional expansion of the Transportation practice across all segments, including automotive, maritime, rail, logistics, and intermodal transportation. You will manage inter-disciplinary teams, foster trusted client relationships, and ensure flawless support under tight deadlines. Working with colleagues who specialize in research, creative, and digital strategy, you will help clients capitalize on opportunities and avoid missteps in a complex and highly-regulated operating environment. You will bring forward ideas based on what you bring to the table – not where you sit on the org chart.
- Counsel clients on complex public affairs, corporate positioning, and reputational issues.
- Maintain an active line of sight into emerging issues and industry-wide trends, including developments in infrastructure policy, CASE mobility, sustainability, and ESG.
- Provide the highest level of client service on a daily basis, while managing staff (both senior and junior) to successfully maintain and grow client relationships.
- Design and implement multi-faceted, integrated communications that position client issues among key opinion leaders, including elected officials, media, and business elites.
- Create effective messages and produce high-quality written deliverables.
- Manage client crises, as needed, in partnership with APCO’s in-house Crisis team.
- Manage client budgets, ensuring efficiency and profitability.
- Run business development activities, including prospecting, proposals, and pitching.
- 6+ years of experience in strategic communications, including at least 3 years leading projects in transportation, infrastructure, or adjacent industries
- Exceptional analytical skills and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Strong understanding of the media landscape, including traditional, digital, and social media
- Outstanding presentation skills and experience briefing senior-level clients
- Ability to manage a budget
- Ability to manage individuals and/or a small team
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
**Agency experience is a plus. Remote applicants are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.