Associate Consultant, Corporate Communications
We are looking for a high-performing and initiative-taking team member who is expected to demonstrate an understanding of consultancy business practices and processes, as well as strong tactical and strategic abilities. The candidate would need to possess strong written and oral communication skills, with at least a minimum of two to four years of relevant experience in communications with an emphasis on corporate media relations. We expect excellent knowledge of the media landscape, and ability to translate client’s objectives into perfectly executed corporate communication activities. Any public affairs, experience is considered a plus.
What will you be doing in this role?
- Engage directly and regularly with clients to build relationships, identify needs and deliver value
- Independently manage portions of small to mid-sized client projects
- Supporting our client teams across a variety of accounts in various sectors, with a specific focus on media relations
- Nurture excellent knowledge of the media landscape and contacts with key reporters/media, defining and executing solid media relations strategies
- Creating written content including press releases, op-eds, viewpoint articles, blogs, and social content
- Running research and monitoring projects and creating clear, insightful reports for clients
- Stakeholders engagement, including the ability to nurture and working through partnerships;
- Prepare client-ready materials and other deliverables, from summary reports to outreach events;
- Review and improve work products of team members
- Actively participate in the new business generation and pitching
- Understand APCO’s business practices and processes, and act as an internal and external advocate for the organization
- Proactively identify external meetings and opportunities which can contribute to the building of sector knowledge and contacts
- At 2-4 years’ experience in a communications role (from either an in-house or agency background)
- Corporate communication experience with a focus on media relations preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Real hunger and talent for crafting stories and pitching journalists
- Extensive knowledge of digital and social media platforms
- Genuine interest in current affairs as well as a “creative mindset” and the ability to think “out of the box”
- A proactive and positive attitude, and a desire to learn
- Financial industry experience is a plus
- Strong verbal and written skills
About APCO in Chicago
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many of the top companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews. APCO offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities and a competitive compensation and benefits package.