Consultant, Public Affairs
We have an immediate opportunity for a strategic communications professional with strong issue advocacy, issues management, writing, and project management skills. You will be joining our growing Public Affairs practice in our Raleigh, N.C. office.
What we are looking for: A “do it all” public affairs professional with a strong background in issues management. You know North Carolina – the movers and shakers, the issues that drive and challenge our state and our leaders and the environment in which companies and policymakers operate.
You are self-directed, proactive and motivated to win for your clients every day. You create opportunities to drive the message and position issues leveraging the full spectrum of communications and engagement channels and tactics. You have experience leading teams and managing work streams while also serving in a key role on major projects. You have a desire to learn and grow – both across industries and communication mediums, such as traditional media, social/digital media, issues advocacy, grassroots, and stakeholder communications. You know how to work with clients and have a positive, go-getter attitude that wins the confidence of clients and inspires teams.
What we bring you: A growing, start-up environment in the heart of Raleigh with the opportunity to work on high-profile, globally recognized clients. Ranked 2017 Public Affairs Agency of the Year by The Holmes Report, with smart, fun colleagues and opportunities to work with people around the country and across the globe. In-house opinion research, creative and resources as part of your team. The chance to work on some of the most interesting and challenging issues of the day for leading companies and associations. An opportunity to shine, succeed and chart your course based on what you bring to the table – not where you sit on the org chart.
- Design and implement multi-faceted, integrated communications and federal and state issue campaigns to position client issues and priorities with key audiences that may include elected officials, media, consumers and stakeholders
- Ability and desire to potentially register as a lobbyist in North Carolina.
- Meet directly with executives about their policy and issue objectives in North Carolina – advise on and execute public affairs efforts to meet those objectives.
- Manage and implement a wide range of strategic communication and issue campaigns for our high profile, globally-recognized clients.
- Provide the highest level of client service on a daily basis through proactive account management, serving as the key client contact while also managing staff (both senior and junior) to successfully maintain and grow client relationships
- Create effective messages and produce and edit high-quality written deliverables, such as issue backgrounders, press materials, messaging toolkits, and social media content often under tight deadlines
- Develop compelling grassroots and grasstops advocacy communications and content to convey complex policy issues to the general public
- Own media relations efforts including cultivating relationships with media, drafting op-eds and talking points, organizing press conferences, and more
- Monitor developments in key client issue areas and flag opportunities for further client engagement
- Manage client budgets, ensuring that projects and corresponding staffing are within allotted budgets
- Participate in business development activities including attending introductory meetings, writing proposals and developing pitch decks
- At least 4 years of public affairs, strategic communications, or federal/state issue advocacy campaign experience including at least 3 years leading client projects from start-to-finish
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field
- Exceptional writing and analytical skills, and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Outstanding presentation skills including the ability to engage executive leadership
- Solid project management experience, including overseeing a team and multiple deliverables
- Management consulting experience is a plus
- Lobbying and government relations experience is a plus
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communications, stakeholder engagement and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.