Senior Consultant (SAM/AD), Corporate Communications & Healthcare
We are looking for a Senior Consultant (SAM or AD) to join our successful and growing UK health and Life Science team, working across a range of international health sector clients which includes a number of leading pharmaceutical, biotech, life sciences and health technology companies as well as trade and professional associations.
The ideal candidate will have a solid background in healthcare communications, ideally gained in an agency environment. They will have a sound understanding of health policy both in the UK and Europe and experience in product communications, market access, disease awareness campaigns and health media relations (with established relationships across trade and national media). They will be familiar with the pharma compliance (ABPI Code) and comfortable devising communications strategies that can navigate this. Although international experience is not essential, the ideal candidate will have an interest in working on pan European and international clients as well as UK clients given we work with clients globally.Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; many of the top companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
Healthcare is a significant focus area at APCO accounting for over 25% of our revenue globally.
Our founder, Margery Kraus, pioneered the practice of health public affairs when she created APCO in Washington, DC, 35 years ago.
Our global practice operates seamlessly across our 30 offices around the globe from our health hubs in the US, UK, EU, MENA and Asia, working as one team. Our local experts are able to understand and advise on the geopolitical and cultural context, which is now more important than ever, while benefitting from a deep bench of global experience.
Our health leaders and Health Advisory Board are dedicated to health, deeply engaged in biomedical, policy and public health issues, and experienced in corporate, media and agency work-life. Our team has driven advocacy in a range of therapeutic areas, from cardiovascular, CNS and oncology, to orthopedics, women’s health, rare diseases and the most cutting-edge cell and gene therapies.
Key responsibilities would include:
- Leading large accounts and campaigns
- Managing, training and mentoring junior team members
- Formulating public affairs, communications, disease awareness and patent advocacy strategies
- Developing and supporting communications plans to support product launches
- Devising health thought leadership campaigns
- Creating messaging and narratives for clients
- Coming up with creative ideas for how to improve services to our clients
- Playing an active role in new business, marketing and internal APCO initiatives
The successful candidate will be/have:
- Someone with healthcare agency experience who is passionate about health communications and wants to play a role in growing a shaping our London healthcare team
- Experience of and an aptitude for managing junior team members
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven track record working with health media (including established media contacts)
- A sound understanding of UK health policy, the workings of the NHS and knowledge of the HTA process (e.g. NICE, SMC)
- A sound understanding and/or interest in learning about European and global health policy
- An active interest in digital/social media, including digital analytics
We are recognised as one of the best agencies to work for in our industry, providing:
- The opportunity to work on a diverse range of clients and projects with some of the industry’s best and brightest
- A collegial and collaborative working environment, where you will work closely with colleagues from around the world
- Significant opportunities to develop professionally, with extensive training and personal development programmes including a global exchange programme
- A competitive compensation and benefits package, including health & wellness benefits