Senior Financial Analyst - Stanford University
Another Source’s client, Stanford University, is recruiting a Senior Financial Analyst to join the Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE) team.
Here's a little about Stanford University and the position they are seeking to fill:
Stanford University’s Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE) is looking for a Financial Analyst to join our Finance & Administration team. If you like variety of work, enjoy collaborating with operators to optimize business, thrive in a dynamic-fast paced learning environment, and you would be proud working for an organization that serves future leaders of the world, this may be the opportunity for you.
Residential and Dining Enterprises (R&DE), a department within Stanford University, operates a number of different lines of business serving students, faculty and staff. Those lines of business relate to the development, construction, day-to-day management, maintenance, and renovation of over 300 housing facilities across campus, as well as food and food-related offerings within a variety of cafes, dining halls, catering, concessions, and vending across campus. There are many ancillary services that support these core businesses. Each of these lines of business requires different financial needs, including financial planning, budgeting, accounting, business analysis, reporting, and process improvement. Beyond this position, there are many other opportunities within R&DE and Stanford that allow you to continue growing and thriving throughout your career.
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of
California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world. Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. The Department is the steward for one third of Stanford’s physical plant and has a $269 million annual operating budget. R&DE is made up of over 800 staff members, it houses 13,000+ students and their dependents, and serves 6 million meals annually to students, conference, catering, retail, and concession guests.
Is this Job for Me?
As the Senior Financial Analyst, you will support the financial operations of Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries (SHA), a self-sustaining business unit that generates revenues from retail café and vending food operations, stadium concessions, catering services, and a campus hotel and Stanford Conferences (SCS), a self-sustaining business unit that generates revenues from Youth and Adult Summer Conferences and Meeting Planning and Registration Services. You will work closely with Food Service and Hospitality Operators, Conference Account Managers, and Meeting Planners to provide finance and accounting support and proactively identify ways to improve their business and the bottom line. In addition, you will provide occasional guidance, supervision, and mentorship of teammates, create new processes, procedures, or tools to improve operational efficiencies, and provide financial reports to Senior Management and Executive Leadership.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Oversee the Financial Reporting Cycle for SHA and SCS
- Produce monthly variance reports and detailed monthly transactional reporting
- Generate internal financial reporting (includes weekly FLASH reporting and monthly Profit and Loss statements) for business units and conduct routine reviews with operators to identify areas to improve efficiencies and profitability
- Forecast 6 month and 9 month Year End Projections to identify risks to meet budget targets to Senior Management
- Submit Fiscal Year Budgets by coordinating inputs from Operators and Finance team, engaging Senior Management in reviews of data, and entering into Budget system
- Oversee the Financial Close Cycle for SCS and SHA (Billing and ME Journals)
- Run reports from hospitality systems (point of sale, event management, conference management, e-procurement, etc.) to book journals into the G/L
- Prepare journal entries to ensure that revenues and expenses are booked to proper accounts; ensure month end close and financial reporting is completed on time
- Manage accruals and develop a more robust process to improve accuracy
- Develop new reporting or tools in collaboration with IT or independently to enhance the automation of financial reporting and metrics
- Oversee third party vendor contracts - calculate commissions, send invoices, and make disbursements
- Review accuracy and compliance of expenses and process reimbursements of employees
- Perform quarterly balance sheet reconciliations and ensure accuracy of transactions
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations and investigate discrepancies between bank, credit card processor, and financial systems
- Participate in the selection and implementation of new systems and tools
- Support and potentially lead committees identifying and implementing organizational improvements
- Back up responsibilities will include data management and integrity of E-procurement, Point of Sales, and Conference Management systems
- Primary contact and backup for Senior Finance Manager
- Assist in additional special projects and analytics as assigned
- Experience or enthusiasm for working in the Hospitality Industry. Provide support for Residential and Dining Enterprises sponsored events and weekend Football games.
- Perform highly analytical, complex finance and control functions; multi-dimensional and complex reconciliations and related analysis; prepare or review and approve complex transactions and higher level dollar value transactions.
- Research, and synthesize data; interpolate results from large amounts of data, identify trends in data, draw conclusions, develop solutions, present and implement recommendations, and create follow up analysis.
- Develop complex budget and forecasting scenarios, long-range planning and analyses for financial reporting and presentations; design and run ad hoc reports.
- Identify and resolve unique issues with substantial significance; recognize exceptions, and conduct in-depth analysis using advanced technical knowledge and experience. Recommend and develop solutions that may require policy changes or the development of new processes; maintain broader organizational and university perspective in decision making.
- Review, design, and implement appropriate internal control programs, research new regulations, and implement approved changes. Manage compliance program for area of responsibility, interpret internal policy and external regulations, and create and/or review complex compliance reports.
- Lead and execute unit or cross functional projects and teams, make decisions regarding projects and programs affecting operational effectiveness, policies, or processes.
- Engage in continuous critical analysis of existing systems and processes; make recommendations to achieve greater efficiencies and improve internal controls. Define requirements, develop and implement complex test cases, perform testing and analyze results.
- Lead and support unit and organization strategy and change management initiatives.
- Provide training on new financial systems. Represent organization to client group(s) and external partners; serve as subject matter expert on matters that involve complex technical, financial, or subject matter expertise.
- Assess client and business needs, and formulate recommendations to determine approach to managing and completing processes.
- May supervise, train, coach, and review the work of other staff, as needed. Contribute primarily through applying individual expertise.
To be Successful in this Position, You will Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and six years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- Advanced knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning and financial systems; internet and computer literacy.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Advanced professional communication skills, including ability to prepare materials for and clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and management.
- Strong project management skills and ability to contribute to or lead part of a multi-functional team.
- Experience and passion for working in a Customer Service focused Industry
- Excel Macros,VBA, SQL, or additional advanced financial modeling skills
- Ability to develop and design financial and operational reporting (MS Access, Tableau, OBI, advanced MS Excel, etc.)
- Advanced Accounting skills
- Familiarity with audit or compliance
- Experiences using any of the following systems (Reserve Cloud, Revel, Kinetics, EATEC, Oracle, Tidemark)
Working at Stanford:
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous benefits align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
To learn more about Stanford benefits: http://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/pay-and-rewards/a-competitive-edge and https://cardinalatwork.stanford.edu/benefits-rewards/sweeteners
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Another Source works with their clients, on a retained project basis, to maximize the recruiting process.