General Ledger Accountant
Come work for a dynamic team at one of Forbes’ Top 100 Most Trustworthy Companies!
We are looking for a General Ledger Accountant to join our Austin office. The successful candidate will play an integral role in ensuring the timely production of accurate financial statements by applying generally accepted accounting principles and specific company procedures to the maintenance of balance sheet reconciliations for specific general ledger accounts across a multitude of entities. In addition, the General Ledger Accountant will actively collaborate with other team members to identify areas for process improvement and will have an opportunity to be a problem solver. This position requires a solid understanding of all aspects of accounting as well as a high degree of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
American Campus Communities is the nation's largest owner, operator, and manager of premier student housing facilities. Enjoy a fun, team-oriented work environment and casual dress code at a large publicly-traded company with competitive benefits.
Critical & Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Monthly preparation of key balance sheet account reconciliations for large portfolio of properties, including workpaper and journal entry creation
- Provide audit support requests to both internal and external auditors
- Understand and comply with GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley, and other related policies and procedures
- Design and creation of new balance sheet account reconciliation as well as improvement of existing reconciliations
- Close coordination and communication with Property Accounting team and other stakeholders to research, analyze and explain trends and variances
- Prepare additional reports and analysis as required by auditors, lenders, and joint venture partners
- Assist in the preparation and review of annual budgets
- Assist operational staff and management with explanations of variances from budget
- Perform various duties as assigned by management including special projects, ad hoc reporting, cross train with other employees for back-up coverage and assist in accounting support
We are passionate about our work and building community.
- Our people are devoted to a culture of inclusion, diversity, and equality in the workplace and our communities. We are committed to intentionally executing an evolving set of goals specific to inclusion, diversity, and accountability, driven by empathetic leadership and embraced by all.
- The core of American Campus culture involves everyone being fully invested in everything that we do down to picking up the smallest piece of trash. No matter their position or duration at any given property, everyone picks up trash because we take pride in our community.
- Serve as an American Campus representative and liaison in all interactions.
- Certain activities involved in this position may be photographed and/or video and audio recorded for quality control and/or training purposes. Compliance with the Photo, Video and Voice Recording Policy is a condition of employment.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in accounting or finance
- Minimum of 2 – 3 years of audit or accounting experience required
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills (Excel) a must, MRI experience a plus
- Real estate experience a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Independent, self-starter, team player
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service at all levels of the organization and with external partners
- Possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills with a demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong relationship-building ability, proactive, results-oriented, and resourceful
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising accuracy, excellent product quality and attention to detail