Financial Analyst - Investments
American Campus Communities (NYSE: ACC) is the nation’s largest developer, owner and manager of high-quality student housing communities. Since 1996, American Campus Communities (ACC) has developed more than $7.6 billion in housing, academic and auxiliary spaces for our own portfolio and our university partners, and acquired more than 160 communities from nearly every major developer in the industry. American Campus Communities (ACC) actively owns and/or manages 206 student housing communities in approximately 90 markets across the nation consisting of more than 141,400 beds.
The financial analyst will be responsible for performing financial analysis supporting the company’s efforts in real estate investment, operations, and development, and the economic impact of strategic business opportunities.
- Provide detailed analytical and financial Excel modeling for development and acquisition opportunities, valuation of existing real estate assets, and other ad hoc projects.
- Prepare and present investment analysis packages including transaction overview, market overview, and results of financial analysis including sensitivity analyses and joint-venture waterfall distributions, and assist with preparation of Investment Committee memos.
- Assist in the preparation of supporting materials utilized in American Campus Communities’ quarterly earnings and guidance reports, pipeline reports, and other materials presented to American Campus Communities’ Board of Directors.
- Assist in the preparation of development proposals in response to university-issued Request for Information (RFI), Request for Qualifications (RFQ), and Request for Proposal (RFP) for on-campus development and management opportunities.
- Assist in preparing development budgets, including tax and impact/development fee analyses by working with internal development and construction management teams, along with general contractors, civil engineers, planning departments, and relevant municipal and county agencies.
- Prepare operating budgets and model future financial performance of real estate assets based upon company operating standards and specific due diligence information.
- Compiling, logging, benchmarking, and interpreting acquisition-target due diligence information relating to financial performance, asset physical condition, market conditions, and results of third-party reports.
- Assist in the preparation of Letters for Intent (LOI) for acquisition targets and completion of on-site due diligence.
- Work directly with Departments Heads, Lead Executives and C-level officers to analyze opportunities and determine investment decisions.
- Participate in strategic investment discussions, identification and implementation of property-level revenue enhancement and expense management initiatives used to drive asset value and financial returns.
- Build and support relationships with external stakeholders, including university partners, joint-venture partners, real estate brokers, developers, investment bankers, architects, general contractors, and consultants.
American Campus Communities Culture Commitments:
- Our people are devoted to a culture of inclusion, diversity, and equality in the workplace and our communities. We are committed to intentionally executing an evolving set of goals specific to inclusion, diversity, and accountability, driven by empathetic leadership and embraced by all.
- The core of American Campus culture involves everyone being fully invested in everything that we do down to picking up the smallest piece of trash in the office and around our communities. No matter their position or duration at the organization, everyone picks up trash.
- Serve as an American Campus representative and liaison in all interactions.
- Certain activities involved in this position may be photographed and/or video and audio recorded for quality control and/or training purposes. Compliance with the Photo, Video and Voice Recording Policy is a condition of employment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Technical Capacity
- Financial and Investment Analysis Skills
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Thoroughness and Attention to Detail
- Collaboration Skills
- Oral and Written Communication Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Economics.
- 1-3 years financial analysis experience in a real estate investment company.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Real estate valuation methodologies and metrics.
- Detailed data and financial analysis.
- Microsoft Office applications – emphasis on Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Effective interpersonal communication, both verbal and written with internal and external stakeholders.
- Reading, analyzing, and interpreting general business periodicals, technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Writing reports, business correspondence, investment memorandums, and proposals.
- Presenting information and responding to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and coworkers.
- Understand mathematical concepts including net present value, internal rate of return, cash on cash return, and all basic concepts associated with the financial analysis of real estate.
- Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Work independently as a self-starter with a hands-on approach.
- Track, prioritize, and drive multiple concurrent projects to success.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Collaborate with various internal organizations.
- Remain detail oriented while multitasking and meeting multiple deadlines.
Certificates and Licenses: