Propulsion Test Engineer II & III
We’re ALTEN Technology USA, an engineering company that provides solutions for engineering, technology, and product development projects. For decades, we’ve been helping our clients develop products that are changing the world, whether that’s by shaping the future of space exploration, saving lives with medical devices that set a new standard of care, or creating the fully autonomous electric taxi of tomorrow. Our team of more than 600 people works across industries including aerospace, medical devices and life sciences, unmanned systems and robotics, automotive OEM and tier 1 suppliers, commercial vehicle, electric vehicles, rail, and more. Our offices across the US have different industry focuses and engage with our clients in different ways, ranging from working on-site at client facilities to performing product development at our delivery centers.
ALTEN Group, our parent company, has been a leader in engineering and information technology for more than 30 years. ALTEN Group operates in 30 countries across Europe, North America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East and employs more than 36,000 people, 88% of whom are engineers. The company covers the whole development cycle and offers a choice of service levels, from technology consulting to complete project outsourcing.
When you join ALTEN Technology USA, you join a group of people passionate about collaborating to solve some of the world’s most technical engineering challenges. Our success is tied to taking care of our employees by building relationships and providing opportunities for mentorship and career growth. We offer comprehensive benefits for all full-time employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer matching; paid time off (PTO); paid parental leave; and mentorship to help you take your career to the next level. You don’t have to take our word for it that we are a great place to work—we were named on the 2023 Top Workplaces list thanks to feedback from our proud employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Develop and/or maintain project plans for engine testing and risk burn-down.
• Coordinate configuration changes with upstream and downstream stakeholders.
• Assess programmatic impact of configuration change requests.
• Create and manage line of balance for hardware and key equipment to support upcoming tests.
• Partner with manufacturing engineering, contribute to development of detailed procedures and help establish a roadmap to rate production.
• Respond to unexpected changes to ensure test activities stay on schedule, on budget, and are completed with high-quality and documented build pedigree.
• Coordinate with procurement, internal and external manufacturing to ensure that hardware priorities are well understood and are actively managed to support the need dates.
• Identify schedule-critical hardware, equipment, people, and facilities; resolve constraints.
• Develop recovery strategies when non-conformances or other escapes are identified.
• Identify risks and develop mitigation plans.
• Develop schedule and budget; manage and report progress.
• Develop and report key project metrics.
• B.S./M.S. Degree in Engineering.
• 3-5+ years of experience in General Rocket or Combustion Engine hardware fabrication, precision assembly, and testing using a variety of methods, techniques, and materials.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
• Test stand experience with liquid rocket engines is highly desirable
• Ability to manage open risks, coordinate mitigation plans with a cross-functional team, and drive risks to closure
• Must be effective in leading a team and facilitating the creation of mitigation plans
• Possess high attention to detail and strong organizational/coordination skills.
• Strong knack for troubleshooting and quick thinking to keep the project moving forward.
• Working knowledge of configuration management principles and practices.
• Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
• Experience with large Liquid Rocket Engine design, development, and testing.
• Demonstrated some technical understanding of rocket engines and test facilities.
• Experience with thrust vector control actuators.
• Experience implementing, customizing, or improving configuration management systems in a development engineering environment.
• Experience leading a small technical team.
• Experience with P6 or other GANTT-style project management tools.
• Experience in Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMA).
Salary Range: $130k - $150k
The actual salary offered is dependent on various factors including, but not limited to, location, the candidate’s combination of job-related knowledge, qualifications, skills, education, training, and experience.
Note: Due to nature of work, only US Persons (citizens or permanent residents) need apply for this position.
Location: Huntsville or Remote
Alten Technology is a an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our Policy is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.