Research Associate - in vitro neuroscience
We are seeking a highly motivated and driven Research Associate who will be key in advancing our preclinical drug development scientific initiatives. Alkahest’s therapeutic focus is on indications impacted by aging, including vision and disorders of the nervous system.
As a member of Alkahest’s Preclinical Research team, this person will help establish and perform in vitro primary neuronal cellular assays to enable bioactive screening and mechanism of action studies. The role is critical in assisting the scientific team in advancing our therapeutic understandings. The candidate will be involved in establishing, validating, and implementing methodologies and is thus pivotal to the company’s mission. Studies performed will involve cutting edge science and require innovative concepts and strategies.
The role requires dedication to drive science, excellent communication and organization, flexibility, and the ability to interact with a multidisciplinary team of scientists and research associates to drive multiple projects in parallel.
Alkahest offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, opportunities for career growth and development, and a work environment that is collaborative, collegial and lots of fun.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Isolating, purifying and maintaining primary neurons, glia and neuronal progenitor cells
- Use of molecular and biochemical analysis methods, immunocytochemistry and microscopy
- Apply high throughput imaging and analysis techniques
- Generation and maintenance of stable cell lines
- Designing, planning, and performing cellular experiments
- Investigating and developing new methods and technologies for project advancement
- Data analysis and regular presentation of scientific data to the team
- Maintaining familiarity with current scientific literature
- Interfacing on a regular basis with lead scientific staff to organize, coordinate, schedule and execute experimental work
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- A Bachelor, Masters or Doctorate degree in biology, cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry or Neuroscience is required
- Minimum of 4 years of progressively advancing responsibilities and technical experience. Position level will be adjusted upon candidate experience
- Multiple years of experience with primary tissue culture and cell-based assay development is required, experience with neuronal cultures and progenitor cells is necessary. Experience with other CNS cell types, such as microglia, OPCs and astrocytes, is desirable
- Experience with immunocytochemistry, microscopy, high content imaging and quantitation, qPCR, ELISA and Western Blot techniques
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills that enable the individual to interact with all levels of management, technical and scientific personnel
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, microscopy software and analytical packages such as Prism