Sr. Legal Counsel
Join a team that is changing millions of lives.
Transforming smiles. Transforming lives. Transforming an industry.
At Align Technology, we believe a great smile can transform a person’s life, so we create technology that gives people the confidence to take on whatever’s next. We revolutionized the orthodontic industry with the introduction of the Invisalign system, and we have never lost sight of that spirit of innovation. Our teams are constantly pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.
Ready to join us?
About this opportunity
Align has operations throughout the EMEA region along with independent distributors in certain areas. Legal support for these operations was historically supported internally by the Global HQ legal team based in San Jose, California and by outside counsels in Europe. Over the last decade, Align has grown considerably and with this has come a gradual growth of the EMEA Legal department. With the recent establishment of a Regional EMEA legal structure, this new position Legal Counsel Russia has been created to provide legal support and coordination for Russia (with potential tangential support of surrounding countries).
The position of Legal Counsel Russia is a high profile and high visibility lead lawyer role, and will serve as the Align’s first legal counsel in Russia, providing advice to the commercial and functional leaders on a wide variety of commercial legal, regulatory and compliance matters as they arise from the day-to-day operations of a public global company, operating in a highly regulated sector and poised for significant growth.
The Legal Counsel Russia will have strong international experience gained in another medical device company or the healthcare team of a leading law firm. With strong business acumen, the Legal Counsel Russia will have the experience and gravitas to influence and negotiate with key internal and external stakeholders.
He/she will be based in Moscow (Russia) and will report to the Senior Legal Counsel EMEA located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
In this role, you will…
- Ensure Align’s intellectual property rights arising from local software development activities are protected to the fullest extent possible.
- Negotiate, draft, and review an extensive range of more complex contracts including research and development, technology licensing and joint development agreements, as well as supply, supplier quality and other agreements.
- Provide legal advice on issues impacting software development lifecycle, software protection and other research and development activities.
- Advise and keep abreast of global legal and regulatory requirements for software including PMAs/510(k)s. Ensure research and testing follows applicable laws and regulations and is adequately designed and appropriately prioritized to support validation and other objectives.
- Develop strong, collaborative working relationships with other members of the Align Legal Department including regional lawyers supporting day-to-day activities of regional commercial organization.
- Develop best in class practices including user friendly, visual, legal templates, policies, procedures, guidance documents, tools or training materials informed by continuous improvement.
- Ensure compliance with Align’s contract management process and other company policies and procedures.
- Perform legal research and assist in other legal matters as and when required.
In this role, you’ll need …
- Deep experience with software development lifecycle and implementing software protection and ownership requirements.
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic individual with demonstrated initiative, adaptability and integrity.
- Excellent communication skills, with strong but diplomatic presence.
- Proven ability to deal positively when working within tight time pressure and demanding clients.
- Demonstrated ability to handle a high volume of activity involving multiple and often complex projects simultaneously and to identify and implement process improvements and technology solutions to gain efficiencies.
- Keeps abreast of changes in laws and regulations globally that may affect our business.
- Experience with personal data and privacy laws.
- Identifies unmet needs and future challenges and proactively proposes strategies to optimize outcomes for Align.
- Impeccable business and risk management judgment and ethics.
- Strong leadership and influencing skills.
- Confident team player and ability to develop relationships and networks at all levels.
- Experience of working with multicultural teams.
- Enjoys working in a challenging, fast paced and dynamic workplace.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- 7+ years minimum post-degree experience, gained within a technology company in combination with a top-tier law firm representing technology companies.
- Russian qualified in intellectual property law
LICENSES AND LANGUAGES
- Fluency in spoken and written Russian and English.
Sound like a good fit?
Great! Click the Apply link below to let us know you are interested. Not the right fit? Don’t worry, there are lots more opportunities. Please consider sharing this opportunity with others in your network.
Invisalign clear aligners, iTero Intraoral scanners, and OrthoCAD digital services that help dental professionals achieve the clinical results they expect and deliver effective, cutting-edge dental options to their patients.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We also respect your privacy. Our Applicant Privacy Policies can be found here: http://jobs.jobvite.com/align-tech/
Sign up for email alerts and be the first to know of our new oppurtunities