Counsel, Strategic Commercial Affairs Global Scaling and Legal Operations
Job Title: Counsel, Strategic Commercial Affairs Global Scaling and Legal Operations
As Align continues its worldwide growth each region needs to have consistent Legal policies and procedures in place for negotiating commercial transactions. This position will create and implement process efficiencies and improvements, training materials, playbooks, global websites, policies and procedures for Legal commercial transactions teams around the globe starting with the North America, APAC, EMEA and Latin America. The position will choose systems and solutions that deliver commercial legal services that enable speed to market and policies and procedures that enhance our mission purpose and core values.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced attorney who possesses expertise in the medical device environment as well as intellectual flexibility and versatility, solid business acumen and judgment, and thoughtful, sensitive and persuasive interpersonal skills. This person will be part of a fast paced legal team that develops, drafts, and negotiates, inbound/outbound technology license agreements, business development agreements, leases, and joint development agreements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Project Management.
- Lead special projects for Legal in order to assist Legal in scaling globally. Projects will include:
- Creation of Legal play books which required advance training in contract negotiations.
- website creation and design
- Creation of a forms repository and contract templates. Coordination of content by working with internal and external counsel around the globe
- Creation of training manuals and global training for database entry, asklegal responders, renewals process, open source, approvals process, leases, export, new hire orientation, insurance questions, equipment procurement process, contract negotiations and fall back positions, and business development term sheets
- Globalizing electronic signature for contracts where allowed
- Creation of field based contracts in CLM that will auto populate content
- Creation of forms repository for internal users
- Contract Negotiation. This position is responsible for providing practical, timely and high quality legal services and analysis in the area of commercial contracts. This person will be part of a fast-paced legal team that develops, drafts, and negotiates inbound/outbound technology license agreements, business development agreements, leases, and joint development agreements. The ideal candidate will work as a team coordinating with business units in the management of the agreements. The position will require ensuring agreements are completed in a timely manner and consistent with company policy and legal guidelines.
- Management and Mentoring. The position may entail management and mentoring of individual contributors.
- Impeccable academic and professional credentials, including a JD from a premier law school and experience in one or more of the country’s top law firms;
- At least 8 years of professional legal experience in licensing transactions at an attorney level that includes knowledge of medical device guidelines;
- In-house licensing experience at a medical device, pharmaceutical, biotechnology or other life sciences company is strongly preferred;
- Ability to make sound and independent judgments, and make recommendations on a wide variety of contracts matters;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with a broad audience including medical, legal and highly specialized technical individuals;
- Ability to lead cross-functionally in a matrix environment, obtain buy-in and drive cross-functional processes;
- Ability to multitask, prioritize work load and competing priorities;
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail;
- Ability to provide high quality product in a timely manner;
- Efficient, effective and well organized;
- Customer service oriented;
- Team player; and Willingness to travel within the U.S. and internationally as needed.
- Must be business-minded and ready to “roll up sleeves” and do what is necessary to get the job done well.·Ability to balance and prioritize numerous matters on a day-to-day basis.
- Work effectively on a team with lower as well as upper level employees.
- High integrity and ethics in all dealings – internal, external, and personal; non-political in conduct, while understanding internal and external political dynamics.·Open to learning, enthused by the day, resilient, approachable, and possessing a well-developed sense of humor.
- Top academic credentials including a J.D. from a top law school;
- California Bar admission in good standing (or qualified for and willing to apply).
Sign up for email alerts and be the first to know of our new oppurtunities