Sr. Director, R&D Global Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning
Align Technology, a leading Silicon Valley innovator in medical devices, focused on revolutionizing dental practice is looking to build for a global leader for its Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning specialists worldwide. The position will be located in our new European headquarters in Zug, Switzerland.
We invented Invisalign, the way to replace wires & brackets by made-to-order plastic transparent aligners, leveraging new 3D computerized treatment simulation and artificial intelligence as well as 3D printing, complex bio-mechanics and advanced materials. We also invented the iTero scanner, able to scan your mouth in a few minutes and generate a 3D model of your jaws and teeth to an incredible micron-level precision. We 3D print around 500,000 unique parts per day, making us the largest custom manufacturer in the world. Additionally, we do treatment planning for all of our doctor’s patient to an incredible level of precision making us leaders in medical treatment simulation.
As the Global Leader & Senior Director for Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning, you will be responsible for the long-term strategy of all AI focused solutions in our product & operational ecosystem. You will also be functionally managing teams worldwide in our different R&D centers, from Russia to Israel to the USA in additional of Switzerland. You will push forward with innovation and solutions for treatment planning, visualization, optimization of our products and operations at scale. This will involve research, with universities & other research centers, development with our teams worldwide, product definition with our product engineering and product marketing teams as well as active recruiting of capable scientists & engineers worldwide.
The ideal candidate is a great people leader, actively curious, incredibly bright, highly organized, quality obsessed and has at least ten years of using leading teams & managing people in the real world and leveraging AI & Machine Learning.
In our matrix organization, the Sr. Director of AI & Machine Learning works closely with R&D leaders, clinicians, scientists and engineers to build and release our high-quality products. This role is involved in the full life-cycle cycle from vision strategy and concept to product and feature requirements to use cases to actual development and to engineering delivery and maintenance.
The role requires a deep technical foundation in AI, machine learning, computer science & software engineering. It requires a strong ability to develop difficult creative products & solutions. It is a challenging position that requires strong leadership, managerial & engineering skills, excellent communication skills and ability to work across a cross functional set of end users and engineers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Functional Senior Director of all Global AI & Machine Learning Teams at Align Technology
- Managerial leader of all AI & Machine Learning staff in Switzerland
- Lead & Negotiate & Manages Research Projects with Partner Scientific & Engineering Organizations, such as Universities & Research Centers
- Establish a strong link between the AI team & global academic leaders in the field
- Lead and mentor an exceptional, high performing global team of Machine Learning Scientists
- Delivers all Roadmap/Release commitments on time, on scope and with quality.
- Implement Word-Class Research & Software Engineering Practices
- Able to Execute core complex software projects requiring deep architectural transformation of corporate systems
- Leads a diverse cross-functional group of people, mostly scientist & engineers into high quality execution
- Effectively Coach Other teams to reach similar levels of leadership, managerial & scientific/software engineering sophistication
- Serve as an authority on functional and technical issues through management of personnel, both in-house and contract.
- Recruiting efforts and mentorship of scientist & software engineers
- Research current trends and emerging technologies and when appropriate effectively implement them
- Plan project implementations and project manage them to successful completion
- Engage with our product & platform leaders on the forefront of AI to help address key Machine Learning and infrastructure opportunities
- Collaborate with other leaders and executives to refine the business strategy and roadmap for the team
- Lead team in developing end-to-end data pipelines to transform data at scale
- Understand and analyze the interplay of hardware, software architecture, and ML frameworks on Intelligent Services
- Analyze trade-offs in terms of performance, cost, and accuracy to identify the appropriate framework and algorithms for various business use cases
- Collaborate with other Software Development teams in areas of joint responsibilities
- Conduct efficient prototyping and prototype evaluation as required
- Communicate effectively the project status to customers and Project Managers and other stakeholders as required
- Collaborate with the Software QA team to determine the best approaches to testing
- Participate in on-site work aimed at realization, debugging and implementation of software applications
- Hire top talent; train and develop staff
- Other duties may be assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- MS or Ph.D. in a relevant discipline (CS, EE, Math) with 10+ years of related work or research experience
- Demonstrated Successful Experience of Software Leadership as a CTO, VP of Engineering, Director or Sr. Director
- 5+ years of experience leading a group of Scientist in AI & Machine Learning
- 10+ years of Software Engineering experience
- 5+ years of Effective Mature Agile Project Management
- Demonstrated Mastery of 3D Geometry/Software, Analytical Geometry & Linear Algebra at University Level
- Willingness to comply with a medical device Class II SDLC
- Strong foundation in machine learning and deep learning
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required with the ability to interface with product teams, as well as internal/external customers
- Enabler and Coach of Mature Agile Project Management Practices
- Ability to communicate with people, to clearly express thoughts
- Excellent written English
- Prior experience in full scale, global Complex Systems implementations
- Exemplary technical and people leadership skills
- Team player with strong ability to explain technical issues to business users.
- Ability to assess customer needs and create product requirements documentation.
- Makes effective decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; uses a mixture of analysis, experience, and process to reach conclusions
- Experience with International Global Enterprises, etc.
- Must demonstrate a strong track record of delivering results.
- Excellent presentation/oral communication skills.
- Excellent management, communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, and use hands to handle objects and tools; reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move light to moderate weight. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The noise level and temperature in the work environment is usually moderate.
WORK SCHEDULE / HOURS
- Regular business hours. Available to travel internationally at least 4 weeks per quarter.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We also respect your privacy. Our Applicant Privacy Policies can be found here: http://jobs.jobvite.com/align-tech/
Sign up for email alerts and be the first to know of our new oppurtunities