Senior Linux Engineer | Req#2786
ActioNet is seeking a Senior Linux Engineer/Administrator to help support a contract in Washington DC. This role is to provide senior level technical operational support, administration and maintenance of the production applications, Middleware platforms and infrastructure ensuring services meet operational targets, achieve high availability and performance. This position offers excellent self-driven learning potential, expects a high level of commitment, collaboration with various teams and a strong work ethic. This position reports to the Production Support Manager.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of coding best practices, and the ability to apply them to (Bash) scripting. The environment is running JBOSS and Tomcat, and as such, senior level experience with these technologies is required. The teams rely heavily on the candidate’s experience and ability to assess risk and their ability to generate meaningful reports for management to base decisions upon. The candidate must have superior written and verbal communications skills. As a Sr. Linux Engineer, the candidate’s experience and guidance will be relied upon in helping the team mature monitoring and alerting across the program. Additional duties include some light MySQL administration, light-duty administration of Windows, and management of NFS shares.
Job Location: Washington DC/Telework capable, currently 100% remote.
It is simple. We are passionate about the inspirational missions of our customers and we entrust our employees and teams to deliver exceptional performance to enable the safety, security, health and well-being of our nation.
- Operational support for operating systems, platforms, and components such as, Red Hat Linux, JBoss, Apache
- Proactively monitor systems, report/and troubleshoot issues.
- Ensure availability, problem resolution and performance tuning/improvement
- Perform system changes such as software deployments and upgrades.
- Participate on-call duties to provide afterhours support.
- Document problems and resolutions in internal and organizational documentation.
- Develop system automation process to reduce redundancy and user error.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams for operational support, software deployment, deployment processes and projects.
- Review system and application logs, and backup/verification/restore of system and application data.
- Mature and Maintain the Operational Excellence of our program for the Linux based systems and services.
- Understand and demonstrate an ability to manage and an interest in the requirements listed below.
- Senior level hands-on technical skills, operational background, problem-solving and analytical skills, troubleshooting and root cause analysis
- 8+ years of experience building, administering, and maintaining Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, 7 and 8 systems
- 2+ years of experience in the automation of administration tasks and system monitoring, logging, and alerting using COTS products like Splunk and other tools like Zabbix and Zymon.
- 1+ years of experience with MySQL Admin and Atlassian Suite of tools
- 1+ years of experience with NFS
- 1+ years of experience writing scripts –Shell/Perl, or Python.
- 1+ years of experience with Bash scripting.
- 1+ years of experience with the management and deployment of SSL certificates.
- 1+ years of experience with configuration management tools, such as Ansible Tower, Puppet and Chef.
- 1+ years of experience with VMware virtualized environments and vRA (Virtual Realize Automation)
- 1+ years of experience with clusters for load balancing, redundancy, and high availability.
- 1+ years of experience with DevOps environments, SAFe/Agile methodologies
- 1+ years of experience supporting Databases such as Informix and MS SQL (strongly preferred)
- Strong understanding of networking concepts such as IP, firewalls, routing and F5. Experience in NFS, SMTP, DNS, and SNMP
- Strong understanding of Disaster Recovery (DR) and COOP.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to assess risk and articulate potential risks to management in both verbal and written form.
- Ability to quickly learn infrastructure layouts for multiple projects.
- Ability to work well with Windows Admins & other teams.
- Working knowledge of application infrastructure administration for the following platforms: JAVA, JBoss, Apache, Tomcat, Nginx, MFT/MFITS, Apache httpd
- Participate in afterhours support and be available for escalation as needed.
- Strong knowledge of build, release, and configuration management practices
- The ability to help create a vision through implementation and delivery of that vision as well as the ability to provide a framework for team members to manage priorities and address root cause issues
- Passionate about knowing the latest trends in build and release management, such as automation, continuous delivery, and systems monitoring
- Participate on-call duties to provide afterhours support and provide off-hours coverage and support for maintenance during outage windows
- Proven ability to complete projects within given time frame.
- Must be a strong teammate, well organized and able to handle multiple assignments and responsibilities simultaneously
- Ability to plan, facilitate, and participate in systems and platform upgrades, service, and preventative maintenance activities
- Demonstrated project management, analytical and self-motivation skills.
- Demonstrated customer service focus, work ethic and attention to detail are critical to success in this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in CS/Engineering field or years of experience equivalent to education requirements
What's in It For You?
As an ActioNeter, you get to be part of exceptional team and a corporate culture that nurtures mutual success for our customers, employees and our communities. We give you the tools to be successful; all you need to do is bring your best ideas, your energy, and a desire to develop your skills, experience and career.
Are you ready to make a difference?
ActioNet is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.