Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
Location: Flexible within the United States; 10-15% travel
(Travel contingent upon organizational/state/federal regulations)
Position is available: immediately
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partner schools. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named as The NonProfit Times “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
The Chief of Staff serves as a key partner to ANet’s CEO, strengthening the organization’s presence externally and supporting a strong culture internally. You will play a crucial role in ensuring the CEO is maximizing opportunities to further our mission, whether through external partnerships or internal communications.
You will facilitate the work of setting and managing ANet’s strategy, inspiring and influencing others towards action, and ensuring a strong flow of information to and from the CEO. You will act as the “team manager” for the board and senior leadership teams and set both leadership groups up to operate in service of our mission and in alignment with our values and anti-racist commitment. This role reports to the CEO and manages the internal communications team as well as administrative support for the CEO.
Board and Senior Team Management
● Serve as critical thought-partner to the CEO while exhibiting strong judgment and maintaining complete confidentiality
● Support the CEO in fostering a high functioning Senior Team, through strong use of meeting time, feedback loops with team members, and a commitment to fostering the team’s individual and collective motivation
● Ensure high quality Senior Team meetings by managing the year-round calendar, overseeing and developing agendas and content, ensuring materials are sent in advance, objectives are achieved, and next steps are clear and taken
● Facilitate Senior Team meetings to achieve intended outcomes and ensure follow through on next steps
● Ensure high-quality board meetings by developing agendas and content and managing logistics
● Partner with CEO to ensure high engagement and value from board members throughout the year and support the CEO in new board member recruitment
External Affairs & Organizational Leadership support for the CEO
● Support the CEO with preparation for and stewardship of external relationships, including prospective funders, board members, strategic partners, and new allies for the mission
● Produce external communication drafts for the CEO that reflect the CEO’s voice, organizational values and convey ideas in a compelling way
● Work with ANet’s Communications Team to identify opportunities for the CEO to engage with external stakeholders to advance ANet’s thought leadership and brand
● Lead internal follow through from external engagements by managing next steps, mobilizing internal staff, and communicating relevant updates back to CEO; in select cases, serve as project manager for emerging opportunities
● Develop and manage a system to produce briefing materials that efficiently support the CEO’s preparation for external and organizational engagements
● Strategically manage CEO’s time through oversight of Executive Assistant capacity
Internal Communication and Org Experiences
● Set vision and direction for how internal communication drives organizational culture
● Manage a small internal communication team to design and execute content that informs, instructs and inspires the organization
● Support senior leaders with internal communications and staff engagement that model and reflect our commitment to our Core Values and anti-racist standards
● Work with the Chief Strategy Officer to support the strategy development process for ANet, including efforts to gather perspectives from across the organization, engage teams in strategy setting, and define strategic priorities for the year
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You have strong emotional intelligence that allows you to engage with diverse audiences, understand and meet needs, and build trusting relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
● Your attention to detail is through the roof, both in your individual work and in work on behalf of others, and in steering coordination and actions with and through others
● You write and produce content and visuals in a way that starts with the audience in mind, and your content compels audiences to nod, feel our work, and take action that advances our mission
● Your writing and content are shaped by your excellent research and story-finding skills, and you produce content quickly on tight timelines
● You understand the importance of effective leadership to an organization’s mission, and are motivated to support ANet’s CEO, board, and Senior Team to lead well and to live up to ANet’s anti-racism standards.
● You thrive in fast-paced environments where you are juggling multiple priorities at one time and know when to operate with urgency and when to slow down in order to bring others along and move work forward more effectively
● You are able to size up situations and assess needs quickly; you have previously leveraged your strategic thinking and leadership skills to drive others towards ambitious visions
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily. You are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values, and our work towards becoming an anti-racist organization.
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; generous paid time-off including: vacation, 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays, a paid floating holiday, paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.