Senior Client Controller
Awarded Inc. Magazine's Best Workplaces 2022 & 2023!
AccountingDepartment.com is the leader in outsourced virtual accounting services for businesses - and our family is growing! Perhaps your next career adventure awaits!
AccountingDepartment.com never settles with status quo. We strive to make sure our staff have plenty of opportunities that broaden skill sets and ultimately enhance career satisfaction while working here. If you're someone who wants to make a difference, is a confident communicator, loves a good challenge, and happily embraces change, then we sound like a perfect match!
It's been an exciting 19 years at AccountingDepartment.com! We hope you will join us as we continue this exciting revolutionary journey we are on.
The Senior Controller is a leadership position accountable for managing an assigned team while also being a strong individual contributor; providing exceptional outsourced controllership, advisory services and strategic direction to various clients. This vital role relieves entrepreneurs from the pains and chaos of maintaining their financials and provides our clients actionable solutions. Controllership services include timely review of monthly financial reports for accuracy and implementing perfected internal process and controls to eliminate risk. Advisory services help clients achieve the visions for their business by using historical data and future projections to develop actionable plans. The individual is responsible for budgets, forecasts, analytics, and developing KPIs, while providing insight, making recommendations to clients and driving strategic decision making.
The ideal candidate will be a innately organized person and comfortable managing up to 15 clients while simultaneously leading a team of 6 to 10. The nature of the work requires quick decision-making, based on knowledge of pertinent information and an intention to reduce risk factors as much as possible. An active, positive response to a variety of challenges and time pressures is also required. The Senior Controller must be self-motivated, responsive and be able to deliver best in class strategic advisory and financial operations to clients while effectively empowering a team, in a virtual environment to create an unparalleled experience for all.
This position is an integral part of the leadership team and will report to an Assistant Director.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leading and mentoring accounting team for assigned clients. Motivates team to provide best in class service. Provides coaching, delivers timely feedback and conducts reviews to ensure staff are set up for success.
- Develops an understanding and awareness of each client’s unique business and accounting needs and requirements. Provides strategic leadership into the scalable accounting operations of each client’s business, ensuring their internal control systems, policies and procedures are consistently followed.
- Manage the month-end closing and issuance of financial reports to all clients, every month.
- Partner with client’s leadership on operational and strategic decisions to enhance their performance. Collaborate with clients to address accounting requests and questions – follow up with appropriate action steps, scope, prioritization and delegation.
- Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Develop client’s annual budget and maintain cash forecasting tools as needed to support long term planning and investment decisions
- Monitor budget performance and provide insights for budget adjustments, as needed
- Develop and review financial and operating metrics through use of dashboards, including KPIS
- Identify variances from the budget and report significant variances to client
- Strategic Financial Analysis
- Analyze financial and operational data to provide real-time, meaningful recommendations and implementing actions based on findings. Identifies trends, risks, and growth opportunities
- Provide actionable insights to senior leadership to drive strategic decision-making
- Execute client conference calls on a regular basis to review strategy, current and future needs, as well as operational changes affecting financial results
- Assist in gathering pertinent tax related information for external tax return preparation
- Coordinate the provision of information to external audits for the annual audit or review
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements
- Review and approve monthly and quarterly tax filings - use/sales tax, property tax returns, payroll tax returns prepared by accounting specialists
- Complete special projects as requested by client
Essential Skills & Experience:
The Senior Controller candidate will be an active CPA, CMA, or MBA with transferable knowledge in accounting and financial analysis for businesses in the $5M to $25M market. The ideal candidate will have manufacturing industry experience. Possesses 10 years supervisory experience.
- Grit: Motivated self-starter with a positive, can-do attitude. Demonstrates GRIT in overcoming obstacles and accomplishing tasks.
- G: Expresses Gratitude and appreciation for the contributions of team members, fostering a positive and collaborative work environment
- R: Demonstrates Resilience, flexibility, and determination while autonomously managing high-priority tasks and projects in an ever-evolving, dynamic work environment
- I: Unquestionable commitment to upholding the highest standards of Integrity, ethical behavior, and transparency in all business practices
- T: Proven ability to contribute effectively to organizational and team objectives through strong Teamwork skills
- Adaptive leadership style with a passion for mentoring staff. Exceptional ability to work with all levels of within the organization while fostering a culture of teamwork and collaboration.
- Proven expertise in actively managing accounting functions for small to medium-sized enterprises
- Comfortable with change and easily pivots when priorities change
- Technical, analytical focus, handles complex issues and finds creative solutions, even in challenging situations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with ability to express oneself confidently
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to multi-task daily, weekly and monthly priorities
- Strong experience with QuickBooks and/or other accounting software packages and passion for learning new technologies
- Thrives in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency to achieve timely, quality results
- Ability to make quick decisions based on knowledge and experience
- Effectively operates within established standards and guidelines
- Ability to acclimate to various client environments
- High degree of computer literacy, including extensive knowledge in Microsoft Office, and specifically Outlook and Excel
- Ability to travel when necessary
Minimum Education and Training Required:
- Bachelor’s in Accounting or Finance
- CPA license, CMA or MBA preferred
If these are the things that you are passionate about and excite you, then we should talk!
Working at AccountingDepartment.com, LLC
The people at AccountingDepartment.com, LLC are passionate about their work and are driven by innovation. Each and every day we strive for excellence. Our work environment is equal parts casual and professional. We’re serious about our business and delivering the best service to our clients, but we also make it a priority to keep things fun and exciting.
- Work from home, W-2 position
- Summer Hours from Memorial Day through Labor Day
- Generous vacation and paid holidays
- Group Medical, Dental, Life, Vision, Accident Insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Participation in a company wide annual bonus incentive plan
- $25 monthly internet stipend
- Virtual employee groups, clubs, and activities throughout the year
- Casual dress
How to become part of our future success:
If you believe you have what it takes to assume this new role, you must submit a resume and cover letter explaining why you’re the perfect fit for this position. Kindly include your salary requirements in the cover letter. Only candidates that submit these criteria will be considered.
AccountingDepartment.com is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law. Employment at AccountingDepartment.com is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications.