UK/EU Customs Compliance Manager
UK/ EU Customs Compliance Manager
ACCO Brands, one of the world’s largest suppliers of branded office products, with annual revenues of over $2.1 billion, is seeking a Customs Compliance Manager to work in the UK. The person will have responsibility and oversight for ACCO’s EU and UK business locations to ensure compliance and risk protection in all areas of international trade in accordance with Customs Directives, National laws and other requirements.
The Customs Compliance Manager provides structure and daily management of customs import operations and will lead technical advice and research for EU/UK business activities, identify compliance gaps and implement corrective action where appropriate. The Compliance Manager will participate in ACCO’s global trade compliance team to ensure alignment with ACCO’s global compliance strategy.
This role will work across the matrix with ACCO Brands Marketing, Engineering, Finance, Legal, and other teams to ensure compliance. Work in a highly collaborative team to cross-train others as well as contribute to the growth, development and implementation of a global trade compliance department.
- Defining and conducting trade compliance audits and ensuring corrective action processes are in place to comply with all relevant customs regulations and trade laws, and other regulatory agency requirements.
- Supervise and manage department in areas concerning classification, valuation, and record keeping
- Interact and support all customs initiatives as they relate to ACCO Brands import and export activities (Tooling Reconciliation, Assist Declarations, BTI applications, New Supplier Reviews, End use Advise, Tariff Classifications)
- Responsible for qualification of free trade agreement programs
- Review and audit of processes on a periodic basis while maintaining and updating Customs Compliance Manual as a working and living document as proof to Customs that procedures are being supported by review of daily activities.
- Ensure that all procedures are documented and tested; provide education and improvement plans where needed.
- Provide Compliance Metrics Report to the Senior Director, Trade Compliance
- Oversee activities as they relate to Customs audit activities, internal audit support and SOX compliance
- Review and monitor performance of brokerage service providers as it relates to quality of customs compliance activities that the Customs broker is performing
- Ensure that internal metrics are reported on and improved upon by conducting monthly assessments / meetings with brokerage partners
- University Degree required; Advanced degree, multiple language proficiency, Customs license (if nationally available) preferred
- 7-10 years’ experience working in international trade compliance, prior experience working international trade compliance at a publically traded company is preferred and proven track record for enhancing customs compliance programs.
- Thorough understanding of EU & UK Community Customs Directives and Requirements, Brexit changes. World Customs Organization knowledge a plus.
- Knowledge of Export Compliance laws (EU national export laws, Export Administration Regulation (EAR)), IncoTerms® 2021 and Logistics practices.
- Must be able to set vision and execute projects from beginning to end while managing multiple priorities, locations and time zones.
- Self-starter with strong organizational, planning and follow-through capabilities.
- Multiple language proficiency English required
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work with and through cross-functional teams; Ability to communicate at all levels. Excellent Organization, Communication and Presentation skills are required
- Knowledge of product specifications, customer and consumer perspective a plus
- Excellent risk mitigation, problem identification and solving capability are required.
- Experience working with global teams and vendors is a tremendous advantage
- Excellent computer skills- inclusive of all Microsoft Business Suite required (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc)
- Domestic & international travel is required (approximately 30%)
- Local candidates required, relocation assistance will not be provided
Equal Opportunity Employer
ACCO Brands is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. The Company provides equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Accommodation for applicants with disabilities will be provided in all parts of the recruiting process as required under the ACCO Brands Canada AODA policy. Applicants are asked to make their needs known in advance.