Absolute is seeking a Legal Counsel to join the company’s busy Legal team. Based out of our global headquarters in Vancouver, BC, the successful candidate will report to Absolute’s Vice President, Legal, and will contribute to and be responsible for a wide range of legal matters to support Absolute’s global operations.
The Legal Counsel’s duties will include:
- Providing legal and strategic advice on a wide range of corporate, commercial, securities, employment, privacy IP, regulatory, and other matters to various business units and the executive team.
- Negotiating, reviewing, and drafting a wide range of inbound and outbound contracts including customers agreements, license agreements, business partner agreements, service vendor agreements, consulting agreements, and lease agreements.
- Assisting with the preparation and review of public disclosure materials including financial statements, MD&A, annual information forms, and news releases.
- Advising on compliance with corporate law, corporate governance, securities law, and stock exchange requirements.
- Advising on Canadian and global employment law matters including employment contracts, employee turnover, HR policies, and HR templates.
- Advising on global compliance with privacy, data protection, and anti-spam laws.
- Reviewing and advising on new and pending legislation on a range of applicable topics.
- Providing general litigation advice and management.
- Being a key legal resource for Absolute’s business to support the sales, product, HR, marketing, IT, and other functions.
- Working with external legal counsel to assist with the assessment and resolution of legal issues, while managing the relationship to ensure efficient, timely, and useful services delivery.
The Legal Counsel will have the following qualifications, experience, and skills:
- Law degree from a leading Canadian or US school.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia.
- At least 5 years of experience at a top-tier law firm and/or in-house at a reputable company.
- Prior in-house experience (ideally in the technology industry) is preferred but not mandatory.
- Strong experience in corporate and commercial law.
- Some familiarity with securities, privacy, employment, and/or IP (patent and trademark) law preferred.
- Excellent legal drafting skills with the ability to be precise, creative, and flexible in your approach.
- Ability to identify, research, analyze, and distill legal issues.
- Willingness and aptitude to learn and apply new legal skills.
- Good business sense and pragmatic approach to day-to-day legal issues.
- Global perspective.
- Team-oriented with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Why Work For Us:
Absolute empowers more than 12,000 customers worldwide to protect devices, data, applications and users against theft or attack—both on and off the corporate network. With the industry’s only tamper-proof endpoint visibility and control solution, Absolute allows IT to enforce asset management, security hygiene, and data compliance for today’s remote digital workforces. Patented Absolute Persistence™ is embedded in the firmware of Dell, HP, Lenovo, and 22 other manufacturers’ devices for vendor-agnostic coverage, tamper-proof resilience, and ease of deployment.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada with international offices in Austin, Texas, Reading, UK and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, we are a collaborative and innovative place to make your mark in the world of security. Our agile, high energy culture rewards top performance and the contributions of those passionate about our collective growth and success. We celebrate our wins in our large common areas where we hold engineering hackathons, end of quarter celebrations, and monthly socials. We believe in a good work / life balance which is reflected in our annual employee retreat where it’s all about friends and family. To learn more about Absolute, visit our website at www.absolute.com or visit our YouTube channel.
Absolute is an equal opportunity employer.