Health, Safety and Environment Manager
AAK is proud to be the world’s leading producer of specialty vegetable fats. Through our unique co-development approach, we develop and provide value-adding vegetable oil solutions in close collaboration with our customers, enabling them to achieve long-lasting business results.
By doing so, we solve customer specific needs across many industries including Bakery, Chocolate & Confectionery, Dairy, Foodservice, Infant Nutrition and Personal Care.
Our pioneering spirit and passion for innovation keeps us at the cutting edge of our industry and is what sets us apart. It enables our employees to work in a safe and supportive environment in which they make a genuine impact.
AAK employ more than 3,500 employees globally and with 20 production facilities and customisation plants, and sales offices in over 25 countries spanning six continents we have one of our industries most diverse global footprints.
AAK Runcorn is the home to AAK Foods, a major manufacturer and supplier of sauces, condiments and dressings to the retail and foodservice sectors.
Our private label work has won awards for taste and quality, and our products can be found on the shelves of stores throughout the world.
From our site on Davy Road, to the east of the town centre, we work with customers to co-develop new recipes for grocery private label products, retail restaurants, quick service restaurants, foodservice and food ingredients.
About the role
The role is to act as the site’s responsible person under current Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) legislation. This will involve ownership and continuous review of the Runcorn Sites HSE procedures, systems and policies, advising the Site Operations Manager on their suitability and effective operation. You will also be required to manage a variety of HSE activities to ensure the organisation complies with external regulations and standards,
- Maintain up to date knowledge of HSE legislation t and advise management and staff accordingly.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures, in accordance with current legislation, so that the Site meets established HSE targets.
- Ensure that the organisation’s HSE strategy is implemented effectively and within agreed budgets
- Ensure that effective record keeping is in place for integrated safe systems of work.
- Maintain safe systems of work for contractors and visitors.
- Maintain hazard spotting, internal audit, accident reporting systems and committee meetings
- Ensure that risk assessments are identified and completed to a satisfactory conclusion.
- Ensure that all PPE meets correct requirements dependant on usage.
- Investigate all accidents and where appropriate, liaise with external and internal stakeholders, including but not limited to HSE/Insurance/Occupational Health etc.
- Maintain and report all HSE statistics (including key CSR metrics) on a regular basis.
- Monitor the Site’s impact upon the internal and external environment, including monitoring and implementing intitatives for improvement.
- Participate in the Global and UK H&S network and support our Sister UK sites (Hastings, Hull).
- You will hold relevant qualifications e.g. IOSH/ISO/HACCP/Degree with professional membership.
- You will be an established health and safety professional with strong leadership and management experience.
- You will be able to quickly establish and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- You will be driven by a sense of urgency, have a flair for innovative approaches and be able to demonstrate a track record in HSE improvement within a similar role.
- You will be aware of the impact of operations upon the environment and have a track record for reduction initiatives.
- You will be familiar with the principles of Corporate Social Responsibility (desirable).
- You will have experience of the food industry and the application of Quality Assurance/Control (desirable).
In return AAK offer:
- A competitive salary
- Company pension 3% Employee, 5% employer.
- UK Healthcare scheme.
- 25 days holidays plus bank holidays.
- Bonus scheme.
- Investment in training and development.
AAK prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, religion, veteran status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law in any aspect of the access to, admission, or treatment of students in its programs and activities, or in employment and application for employment.