Principal Big Data Software Engineer
Position: Principal Big Data Software Engineer
Location: San Jose, CA
Zscaler enables the world’s leading organizations to securely transform their networks and applications for a mobile and cloud-first world. Applications have moved from the data center to the cloud and users are connecting to their workloads from everywhere, but security has remained anchored to the data center. Zscaler is redefining security by moving it out of the data center and into the cloud.
The Zscaler Cloud Security Platform uses software-defined business policies, not appliances, to securely connect the right user to the right application, regardless of device, location, or network. Zscaler offers two service suites. Zscaler Internet Access™ scans every byte of traffic to ensure that nothing bad comes in and nothing good leaks out. Zscaler Private Access™ offers authorized users secure and fast access to internal applications hosted in the data center or public clouds—without a VPN.
Zscaler services are 100% cloud delivered and offer the simplicity, enhanced security, and improved user experience that traditional appliances or hybrid solutions are unable to match. Used in more than 185 countries, the Zscaler multi-tenant, distributed security cloud protects thousands of customers from cyberattacks and data loss, enabling customers to embrace the agility, speed, and cost containment of the cloud—securely.
Come and join our team and be a part of this exciting transformation to cloud-based security!
The Principal Big Data Software Engineer will create the next generation of Zscaler's security analytics platform. The candidate will help build a platform to collect and ingest several billion (and growing) log events from Zscaler's globally distributed security infrastructure and provide actionable insights to customers and Zscaler's security researchers.
- Design and build multi-tenant systems capable of loading and transforming large volumes of structured and semi-structured fast moving data
- Build robust and scalable data infrastructure (both batch processing and real-time) to support needs from internal and external users
- Implement measures to address data privacy, security and compliance
- Work with product management, marketing, security research teams to identify requirements and evolve data architecture
- 12+ years of hands-on experience working with software development and enterprise data warehouse solutions
- Must be proficient with coding in Java/Scala, some Python would be a plus
- Must have expertise with the Spark platform - building a Spark infrastructure
- Must have expertise with Hadoop architecture (Ability to set-up a Hadoop cluster from scratch and maintain, troubleshoot and tune by reviewing logs from various Hadoop services
- 3+ years of experience in building high performance data processing infrastructure taking into account concurrency, latency and efficiency by profiling, reviewing logs etc
- 2+ years working with query engines such as Presto, Hive or Spark SQL preferred
- Identify the right kind of data serialization techniques and data stores for persisting events
- Strong understanding of the Hadoop stack - HDFS, map-reduce, YARN/Mesos, Zookeeper
- Working with data processing frameworks such as Spark, Kafka, Storm, Elastic search for 2+ years
- Experience architecting systems following the REST architectural style
- Excellent interpersonal, technical and communication skills
- Ability to learn, evaluate and adopt new technologies
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Experience working with AWS - EC2, S3, EMR, Redshift, etc.
- Experience working with Spark
- Basic understanding of statistical analysis.
- Practical experience with the Scala programming language
- Application of machine learning to security log analytics
What You Can Expect From Us:
- An environment where you will be working on cutting edge technologies and architectures
- A fun, passionate and collaborative workplace
- Competitive salary and benefits, including equity
- The pace and excitement of working for a Silicon Valley Unicorn
Zscaler is the world’s leading software-as-a-service security platform
- We deliver best of breed security services with unprecedented scale
- We protect 15 million users, in 3,250 organizations, across 185+ countries
- Blue Chip Customers (200 of Global 2,000 in our portfolio)
- Glassdoor rating of 4.7/5.0 + 98% CEO Approval = Exceptional place to work!
People who excel at Zscaler are smart, motivated and share our values. Ask yourself: Do you want to team with the best talent in the industry? Do you want to work on disruptive technology? Do you thrive in a fluid work environment? Do you appreciate a company culture that enables individual and group success and celebrates achievement?
If you said yes, we’d love to talk to you about joining our award-winning team!
Learn more at zscaler.com or follow us on Twitter @zscaler. Additional information about Zscaler (NASDAQ : ZS ) is available at http://www.zscaler.com. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.