Security Researcher II - Cloud IDS/IPS
Position: Security Researcher II
Location: Bangalore, India
Zscaler enables the world’s leading organizations to securely transform their networks and applications for a mobile and cloud-first world. Its flagship services, Zscaler Internet Access, and Zscaler Private Access create fast, secure connections between users and applications, regardless of device, location, or network. Zscaler services are 100% cloud-delivered and offer the simplicity, enhanced security, and improved user experience that traditional appliances are unable to match. Used in more than 185 countries, Zscaler operates the world’s largest cloud security platform, protecting thousands of enterprises and government agencies from cyber attacks and data loss. The Zscaler platform operates at a carrier-grade level– we process over 25 billion transactions a day in our cloud to protect our customers.
The Security Researcher II will report to the Sr. Manager, Security Research. The Security Researcher will be primarily responsible for Analyzing malicious traffic for various protocols to detect the threats by generating Cloud IDS/IPS signatures. Also, will be conducting Log analysis to identify new threats.
ThreatLabZ is the security research arm of Zscaler. This world-class team is responsible for hunting new threats and ensuring that the 15 million users on the global Zscaler platform are always protected. In addition to malware research and behavioral analysis, team members are involved in the research and development of new prototype modules for advanced threat protection on the Zscaler platform, and regularly conduct internal security audits to ensure that Zscaler products and infrastructure meet security compliance standards. ThreatLabZ regularly publishes in-depth analyses of new and emerging threats on its portal, research.zscaler.com.
Responsibilities/What You’ll Do
- Ensuring coverage for Cloud IPS product by writing new signatures.
- Analyze malicious traffic for various protocols to detect the threats.
- Vulnerability and Exploit research to ensure generic detection.
- QA and improve existing signatures
- Develop automation scripts to aid in research and analysis tasks
- Write blog posts and papers related to threat analysis
- Log analysis to identify new threats
- 4+ years of experience in security research
- Experience with IDS/IPS (HIPS/NIPS) products.
- Strong understanding of the protocols like TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP and application protocols such as SMB, RDP, FTP, TELNET etc.
- Experience with vulnerability/Exploit research, analyzing outbound malicious traffic.
- Experience with creating IPS signatures using SNORT would be great to have.
- Exploit development skills would be a great plus.
- Experience with Exploit frameworks (Metasploit, Immunity CANVAS etc), Traffic analysis tools (Wireshark, Fiddler, Burp etc.), Malware analysis tools.
- Programming: Shell, Perl, Ruby, or Python
- Experience in research blogs and/or speaking engagements
What You Can Expect From Us
- An environment where you will be working on cutting-edge technologies and architectures
- A fun, passionate and collaborative workplace
- Competitive salary and benefits, including equity
- The pace and excitement of working for a Silicon Valley Unicorn
People who excel at Zscaler are smart, motivated and share our values. Ask yourself: Do you want to team with the best talent in the industry? Do you want to work on disruptive technology? Do you thrive in a fluid work environment? Do you appreciate a company culture that enables individual and group success and celebrates achievement? If you said yes, we’d love to talk to you about joining our award-winning team.
Learn more at zscaler.com or follow us on Twitter @zscaler. Additional information about Zscaler (