Project Architect, R+D for the Built Environment
R+D for the Built Environment, Full-time
Mountain View, CA
Who we are/ What we do:
R+D is the Ideas Workshop for the Built Environment (for a large tech company in Mountain View). We are architects, engineers, researchers, designers, inventors, dreamers and builders who are obsessed with meaningfully shaping our environment. We are a community of optimistic, passionate, action-oriented solution-seekers who love to say “yes” and then create the path to deliver on that answer. From the scale of the Desk to the scale of the District, we generate ideas and prototypes that deliver immediate tangible value, and project a resilient, resource efficient, technologically-enriched and beautiful future.
What You Do:
As a Project Architect, you are a non-traditional design leader responsible for several of our initiatives each quarter, providing design oversight and guidance for these initiatives. You have a broad general knowledge base across all aspects of design and construction, and though perhaps not an expert across all subject areas, you can assemble and manage a team of experts who can solve almost any problem related to the built environment. You are also a collaborative leader, facilitating the relationships necessary to generate the most exciting new solutions. You have the ability to maintain a high level view as well as the ability to get into the details as needed on initiatives to help teams prioritize goals so that they can work most effectively, through weekly meetings and daily communication. You are an adept natural communicator, optimistic and positive, and can make hard work feel like a vocation. You identify with the success of the team, and dive in to do whatever it takes to create the best work. You thrive in an optimistic team environment where we deeply respect each other and try to leave each other feeling inspired and energized.
- Co-leads multiple initiatives with a variety of teams and provides guidance and design oversight for the teams. This includes design contributions within the content of the work as well as graphics, narrative, and presentation of the work to stakeholder groups.
- Checks in regularly with lab leadership; facilitates meetings and workshops.
- Identifies good design and consultant partners to build out the right team to successfully complete initiatives
- Has an open and flexible attitude toward developing alternate solutions and methods to enhance or supplant industry norms, and has enough knowledge to understand the impacts of the norms that are broken.
- Embodies the ethos and expands the ambitions of the R+D Lab
- Senior Licensed Architect with a degree in Architecture, Engineering or Industrial Design
- Experience with a range of different project sizes and program types
- Experience with all phases of architecture + construction, from programming and conceptual design, to construction documents and detailing, as well as construction administration
- Excellent planning skills, including careful attention to detail, information organization and timeline tracking; ability to utilize data to tell a story
- Tools to understand potential exposures/roadblocks and strategies to overcome them
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across many teams and at all organizational levels
- Solution-Seeking and action-oriented
- Demonstrated positive and effective leadership
- Creative problem solver
- Working knowledge of building and planning codes, with the ability to foresee regulatory or bureaucratic obstacles to execution
- Relentless curiosity and a passion for the built environment
- An obsession with user-centered discovery and design process
This position is full time at the R+D lab located on the premises of a large tech company in Mountain View, CA with full-time employment through XL construction.
Please submit professional credentials, including curriculum vitae, cover letter, and portfolio of work for our consideration.