Internal Communications Manager
In this newly-created position, you will facilitate consistent and coordinated internal communications for WRI and help to coordinate a major upgrade of our Intranet to make this the primary channel for internal communications. Working closely with our Executive Office, communications team, operations department and program colleagues across the Institute, including our international offices, you will define what and how we should be communicating internally.
You will ensure communication is clear and reliable and conveys important decisions and noteworthy developments to all parts of the WRI network in a compelling format. In addition, you will improve our information flow, especially between our international offices and the Global Office (DC), to improve collaboration and sense of our being one connected global organization.
Reporting to the Communications Director, you will have a unique vantage point at a leading NGO. This is an excellent opportunity to support your passion for the environment and international development. The ideal candidate will have excellent writing, editing, and communication skills, superb people skills, and strong attention to detail.
The main areas of responsibility will include the following:
Establish and maintain protocols for Institutional Communications:
- Design and manage an internal communications approach and calendar. This will include surveys and assessments designed to ensure institutional communications is fit for purpose, identifying appropriate stakeholder-relevant content and establishing a schedule, systems and processes to approve (or implement) an enhanced, high-quality internal communications function across WRI.
- Oversee production and existing regular staff emails and internal newsletters.
- Design a clear process and style guide for internal communications with an emphasis on visual communication wherever possible.
- Support the Chief of Staff in organizing monthly staff meetings in the Washington, DC, office, and periodic global staff meetings.
- Support the improvement of systems related to internal communications.
Coordinate institutional upgrade of WRI intranet:
Manage existing Intranet, assuring that content is correct and up-to-date.
- In collaboration with the Communications department, IT and other relevant staff, coordinate the introduction of an upgraded Intranet that becomes the modus operandi for WRI staff to share and get information and the way in which the institution manages its processes.
- Oversee the strategy and content flow on the new intranet once it is implemented.
Delivery of enhanced, streamlined internal communications:
- Support the smooth functioning of WRI’s international network by disseminating timely and important information across the Institutr
- Support WRI leadership with regular communication about decisions by Executive teams, senior-level staff changes, new policies, internal operational and programmatic deadlines, Board decisions (in consultation with the Board Liaison), major developments, and other key information
- Support the Executive Office’s communication, including targeted and customized communications to specific groups, offices, or individuals
- Work with Executive team and international offices to increase and improve two-way information flow to ensure greater transparency, understanding, and collaboration, and to enhance the flow of information between our offices
- Manage quality control and ensure timely dissemination of all-staff messages, ensure adequate review and approval prior to circulation to staff. This may include messages that originate from any department
- Produce compelling written and visual communications that advance WRI’s systems and policies, including emails, posters, PowerPoints, etc.
- Minimum 3 years of full-time communications work experience
- Master’s degree with preference for degree in communications, design or related field (or 2 additional years of experience with an undergraduate degree)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with a strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience in project management, and strong writing experience
- Demonstrated understanding of digital platforms and content management
- Demonstrated passion for WRI’s mission, including a working knowledge of key issues within WRI’s portfolio
- Self-starter with ability to juggle multiple assignments at one time
- Collaborative and positive attitude
- Ability to work with staff at all levels; experience working for an international organization or working and living outside of the U.S. strongly preferred
- Experience with graphic design and visual communications is desirable
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint