You spend more than half of your waking hours working. Make these precious, fleeting moments matter by working for an organization and a cause you can believe in.
Western Growers exists for one reason only: to ensure the future viability of its members – the hard-working, salt of the earth farmers who grow the fruits, vegetables and tree nuts that feed our nation and nourish our bodies. But their way of life, their ability to pass their multi-generational farms and family legacies on to their children and grandchildren, is being jeopardized by a host of threats, many of them beyond their control. They face a growing litany of laws and regulations that make it increasingly difficult and expensive to do business.
Our members depend on us to help them remain competitive and profitable in spite of these trying circumstances, which we do by fighting – heart and soul – for them every single day. We passionately advocate for them in the halls of Congress and on the steps of the state capitol. We actively facilitate the advancement of technology designed to help them become more efficient and less dependent on diminishing resources. We diligently provide health insurance to their farm workers, as well as other insurance solutions tailored to the unique business. We do all of this, and more, from a position of leadership in the agriculture industry, which requires a team of intelligent, inquisitive and innovative individuals sold out for our common purpose.
Job Description Summary
The Benefits Analyst works collaboratively with the Benefits Advisor to manage the Western Growers Insurance Services (WGIS) book of business. The Benefits Analyst is responsible for benefit design and innovations, including process improvement, reporting and analytics, project management, and quality assurance. This position is the project owner for many of the WGIS’s highest priority initiatives, including performance management for each benefit plan. The incumbent will primarily provide analytical support that requires a thorough understanding of employee benefits, ability to think critically and provide strategic direction, application of advanced math and Excel skills and the ability to establish and maintain collaborative internal and external relationships.
- Master’s degree or college degree plus five years’ experience as an analyst in a related field preferred. Three (3) years in an insurance agency or employee benefits.
- Advanced ability using Microsoft Office Suite including: Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access.
- Exceptional ability using spreadsheet software, particularly, Excel’s pivot tables, v-lookups, and other advanced formulas.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment fully independently with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- The appropriate States’ Department of Insurance license(s) a plus.
- Strong written & oral communication
- Verifiable, clean DMV record and the ability to travel to various locations throughout the U.S. (mainly California and Arizona) up to 25% of the time.
Duties And ResponsibilitiesPlan Design
- Direct a wide variety of complex projects involving the design, financing, delivery, ongoing management and communication of the full spectrum of health and group benefit programs.
- Liaise with vendors and key clients internally and externally, create client deliverables, and ensure quality standards are met.
- Procure and manage insurance carriers.
- Act as a resource for Benefit Advisors to develop strategic plans and solutions for prospects and clients.
- Design, distribute and evaluate responses to surveys.
- Contribute to sales and marketing efforts by drafting proposals and responding to Requests for proposals.
- Prepare the first draft of deliverables for review by the Vice President, Employee Benefits.
- Manage clients with health and welfare program communications and maintenance.
- Collect and distribute financial analytics for large group clients both fully insured and self-funded.
- Deliver recommendations to enhance business operations by interpreting data obtained through analytics.
- Analyze and compare vendor products, services and contracts.
- Conduct benchmarking studies and other research.
- Provide value added analyses and summaries.
- Research and analyze marketplace data and insurance company products.
- Execute financial analyses including developing pricing and employee contributions strategies.
- Model plan design alternatives and calculating reserves
- Deliver accurate and reliable claim reporting and financial modeling tools used to drive client decisions
- Assess current state of operational procedures within WGIS to propose improvements to current processes and procedures.
- Work in interdisciplinary teams as well as external department staff to capture business needs in order to provide and implement solutions for reporting and analytics.
- Capture impact of new procedures and report to leadership in order to demonstrate success and areas of opportunity
- Build strong relationships internally and collaborate effectively on cross-functional teams
- Participate in professional organizations and networking groups to understand trends in our industry
- Utilize all capabilities to satisfy one mission — to enhance the competitiveness and profitability of our members. Do everything possible to help members succeed by being curious and striving to understand what others are trying to achieve, planning and executing work in a helpful and collaborative manner, being willing to adjust efforts to ensure that work and attitude are helpful to others, being self-accountable, creating positive impact, and being diligent in delivering results.
- Maintain a clean DMV record and the ability to travel to locations throughout the U.S. (mainly California and Arizona) up to 25% of the time.
- All other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others. The employee frequently is required to travel to both indoor and outdoor areas that can vary in exposure and temperature. The employee is frequently required to operate a motor vehicle. The employee is frequently required to use objects, tools, or controls. The employee may be required to lift up to 50lbs. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.